Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 92 Passenger side front Bose Speaker amp is out - I think...

92ghost

Corvette
1992 White Coupe
1992 Coupe w/ original Bose system - How do I know if it's the Amp or something else. Nothing works, just massive static when I turn on the system, and I think it's coming from the passenger side speaker up front. Any way to test, or is this a $159 guess to buy an amp from Mid Am on line and replace...

Well, it sounds like the amp is done. Back when I had my 94, I found a place that rebuilt the amps for $40/each. I don't remember where that was, but I'll look back into my files and see if I can find where/who it was.

My 95 coupe - had all 4 amps rebuilt - not a big deal

1992 Coupe w/ original Bose system - How do I know if it's the Amp or something else. Nothing works, just massive static when I turn on the system, and I think it's coming from the passenger side speaker up front. Any way to test, or is this a $159 guess to buy an amp from Mid Am on line and replace...
nd one of the early issues was
I've had my 95 coupe for almost 1 year now, and one of the first issues was the same speaker amp symptoms as you are having. From my research on this site and others it seems Bose used lousey diodes (they leak, dry out and acid attacks the circuit board) in the amps. 10 years seems to be a great lifespan for these. Thanks Delco + Bose engineering! My solution was to send in and have each amp rebuilt with good components by "Sound Repair , 4000 Alan Shepard Ave, Cocoa , FL 32926. 855 615 9700. George gave me quick turn-around service and a price break on just doing all four for no future problems. I highly recommend this business and my dealings with them. You will find web sites and on this forum for speaker and amp removal - not a real big deal but be careful. The speaker housings can be quite brittle ( Thanks again Delco) and you may break some of the plastic mounting tabs. In 2 locations , I used silicone glue and some fender washers to reinstall securely.
For an otherwise great ride, this is a small audio problem to have as a Corvette owner.

A final note, my coupe has short racing pipes that terminate at the rear axle and it is loud enough to make critical radio CD listening a moot point.
Have Fun Hope all works out well. John

View attachment 20646

Attachments

• 1995 C4 Corvette 005.jpg
    1995 C4 Corvette 005.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 117
Well, it sounds like the amp is done. Back when I had my 94, I found a place that rebuilt the amps for $40/each. I don't remember where that was, but I'll look back into my files and see if I can find where/who it was.

I haven't had time to look yet, but you're still on my mind. :thumb

No problem... Thanks to both of you for responding...

I can't seem to find the information on who I had repair my amps. I know I have that information someplace, but so far it's not where I thought it was.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom