Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

92 vette Fuse #1 blown, new fuse blows immediately HELP!

markzasz

I have a 92 corvette and "SYS" is displayed on my dash, I also have no radio, no interior lights or door lights. I checked the fuses on the right side of the dash and found fuse #1 was blown, when i tried to install a new fuse it blew immediately. i expect this is telling me i have a bare wire somewhere. can someone help on where i start to locate the issue?

Thank you Mark Z.

Yep.
You have a short.

You also need the manuals for a wiring diagram. Then you need a 12-volt test light and, maybe, a digital multi meter (DMM) to help you find the short. Some basic electrical trouble shooting skills will help.

Fuses are not labeled with numbers. They are labeled with abbreviations of their circuits. I suspect that when you say fuse #1 you mean the one at top left of the main fuse block. That, is the courtesy lamp fuse so you are going to look for a short in all those circuits.

As for the IP display showing "SYS" You need a factory service manual. In it you will find instructions on how to read CCM fault codes, one of which is likely causing "SYS" to display. The FSM will also give you troubleshooting instructions for what ever fault code is set in the CCM.

The sad part of all this is, apparently, 1992 Service Manuals are likely out of print. You'll have to look on eBay or try Faxon Automotive Literature in Riverside CA.

Last edited:
That "CTSY LAMP" circuit is quite complex! Without a wiring diagram, you'll have trouble tracing those locations. A common problem: Has a coin slipped into your lighter socket?

To keep from needing a bucket full of fuses during your search, here's a gadget I built to help find a short. Wire a headlight bulb to a burned out fuse, so the headlight becomes the "fuse". But rather than the headlight blowing out when you have a short circuit, the headlight will shine, and nothing will be damaged! If you do NOT have a short circuit, everything will work properly, and the headlight will be dark.
DSCN2871.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom