Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 93 40th Annaversary edition, lost door locks on both sides

silverstreek

Corvette
1993 Anniversary edition, Red
Today while working on the passenger door mechanism, I lost total power door lock operation on both sides. I've checked the 20 amp power door lock fuse, switch, and wiring. I am at a loss because I can't find anything on which pin coming off of the door lock switch in the 12 volt supply, lock, unlock, ground. If anyone has a wiring diagram for the power door lock showing where the wiring begins at the fuse box to the passenger side door lock switch. I'd appreciate any help I can get at this point.

I'm also in the market for a nice clear wiring diagram for the complete car. If anyone could point me in the right direction of a reputable vendor, that would be a great help too!

Thanks so much for your time.
Silverstreek

Used factory service manuals are usually available on E-bay. 93 has a 2 book set and a LT5 optional booklet. The red covered manuals are the final addition around $75 used. The White covered manuals are the preliminary manuals and not worth as much. Helms Inc. was the publisher of the manuals. These are the service manuals GM techs used and contain block diagrams, schematics and theory of operation.

You can also find CD versions of the service manuals on E-bay. In my opinion these are illegal copies of the service manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your help and taking the time to find and post the wiring diagram!

It might be worth checking out the fusible links by the battery. I had one go on me once and it took a while to find the problem.

It might be worth checking out the fusible links by the battery. I had one go on me once and it took a while to find the problem.
93 is Maxi fused on the A pillar behind and on the LT F splash shield in front of the battery!:thumb

I want to thank everyone who helped me! Here's the story of how the problem came about. And what I did to get the power locks working.

Upon closer examination I noticed the passenger door panel has been on and off numerous times as has the connector for the power locks and window. Understanding this, I started scrutinizing every connector and wire leading to the connectors. What I found was, only one wire out of all of the stranded wires still attached on one of the 5 different wires at the 5 pin connector. While looking at this one little strand, I could see it was discolored like it had more amps running through it than it could handle.

In order to take the wiring out of the equation, I cut the bad piece out of the wire in question, stripped it, and soldered it directly onto the 5-pin connector. I went through the other wires making sure all strands of the wires were connected the way they should be. While I had the door panel off, I also straightened out the bent door lock rod, and lubed the entire lock assembly. The door lock actuator motor was replaced previously, along with the window motor. I got this info from the repair write-up done by the repair shop the original owner had that work done by. I also checked the wiring to the actuator motor, and window motor. That looked good.

I reconnected the door lock switch and tried it. SUCCESS! And..... the door lock slider actually moved to the locked and unlocked position just like it should have. I hate getting something to work without actually finding the smoking gun. Although one on the wires was completely broken off at the connector except for one strand, I feel the door lock should have worked? The only thing I can think of is that one tiny strand was no longer capable of carrying current through it?

Only time will tell if I found the culprit?

Thanks to all again, I appreciate the help and direction!
Silverstreek.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom