Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 Headlight woes

CHERRYPICKER

Corvette
93 tripple black convertable
Hello to all, slight problem with headlights....

passenger side is lazy...

bought pellets for both sides

opened up motor and original pellets were fine

further investigation found stripped shaft and wheel ( for lack or a better word )

pic:

IMG_1276.jpg

questions;

can this/these parts be purchased somewhere ?

can these parts be fixed somehow?

any help is greatly appreciated

Glenn

Thanks Rex

bronze and plastic gears are available, but i think they are just the ones that mesh with the worm gear, this piece does not mesh with the worm gear.

On some advice from a mechanic friend i have tried liquid weld. we shall see if that works tomorrow.

Glenn

JB weld? maybe....
But you can find salvage headlite motors everywhere. If you can rebuild yourself, thats the way to go. Get a scrap motor and 'build" yourself a new one. Add some new plastic gears (i know) and its brand new. Keep extra pellets, motors, cases for spare.

I kind of prefer the plastic over the bronze because when the wear is taken off the gears(bronze) it then gets transfered to something else, like this shaft and collar that used to have splines....when a plastic gear wears out, just replace it. besides, the plastic acts like a dampner of sorts.
Rebuilding Once every 10-15 yrs ain't so bad. Keeping the gear assy full of white grease is the biggest problem.

JB weld? maybe....
But you can find salvage headlite motors everywhere. If you can rebuild yourself, thats the way to go. Get a scrap motor and 'build" yourself a new one. Add some new plastic gears (i know) and its brand new. Keep extra pellets, motors, cases for spare.

I kind of prefer the plastic over the bronze because when the wear is taken off the gears(bronze) it then gets transfered to something else, like this shaft and collar that used to have splines....when a plastic gear wears out, just replace it. besides, the plastic acts like a dampner of sorts.
Rebuilding Once every 10-15 yrs ain't so bad. Keeping the gear assy full of white grease is the biggest problem.

Absolutely plastic.

They're lighter, and less load on the motor. And when something fails, you prefer plastic gears ($20) to strip, rather than the motor ($140). Even read that tip in a tech mag - yup I ken reed - whent to publik skool.
tard.gif

well the JB weld seems to work.
headlight is going up and down ( like it should )
took a look at the drivers side and it has a newer gasket on the motor so i will assume it has been rebuilt before...not gonna touch it...lol

thanks for the help guys

cheers
Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom