Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 intake gasket replacement

U

urleycay

hi everyone, got a dumb question. i have to replace intake manifold gasket on my LT-1. seems having bought a low milege car that has been sitting is no good for gaskets. anyway i have service manuals and need tool for flex fuel lines but i have to remove injector rails once fuel lines are disconnected. do the injectors pop out when you unbolt fuel rails or is there a special tool for that too?? i just realized that i graduated mechanic school in 1971 and this is first time i,ve had to work on a late model. i am into old muscle and never had to deal with all this. i can,t wait to have to change plug wires and cap.
thanks to all for help and happy holidays!

Just hold the fuel rails and pull, the injectors will pop out. As for the fuel connections just pull them up and lay them on the windshield then you won't have to buy the disconnect tool. Make sure you replace the o-rings on the injectors while you have them out and put a little lube on them before you install them. Remember to use RTV on both ends of the manifold.

Fred

thanks fred!!! i learned a lot time ago that it is better to ask then to screw something up and with people like you it makes it all better. i cannot thank you enough and the other great people who write questions and answers. the dealer wanted approx $284.00 for this job. thats $36.00 for gasket and the rest labor i have $32.00 in gasket kit w/ came w/ rtv, intake gaskets, injectors o-rings (now i know why they were in pkg) and i bought a new fuel filter and the kit for disconnecting the fuel lines. plus the satisfaction that i,ve done it. next year CAP,ROTOR & WIRES and again thanks to this site some great insight on products and tips on how to do job.
again thanks a million for your time. tony

Did your gasket kit come with rubber gaskets for the end of the valley? If so don't use them. The tube of RTV that came with my gasket set wasn't nearly enough for the ends.Get a tube of RTV and use that on the front and back. Having worked on older cars you may be aware that you need to have ALL oil cleaned off surfaces that you use the RTV on or it will eventually pop out. Use brake cleaner or something similar to clean the surfaces.

Glenn
:w

yes , they did give me rtv but i also have a tube of blue rtv in stock and i am meticulious when it comes to prep before applying any gaskets and no this is first time i got a gasket set where they eliminated the rubber end gaskets.
again thanks for tips.
tony

hi fred, finally going to finish intake project today but i forgot to ask you another question. can an injector be cleaned while off the motor? i was going to take it in when finished and have a shop run an injection cleaning service but if i have them off i could spray clean them. then i thought it will not work because i cannot duplicate the pulse that allows the fuel to pass thru.
thanks tony

Hi Tony

I got mine cleaned while they were off the manifold with test results and they only flowed about 1/2% better and it cost me $260.00 Cdn so I don't think it was money wisely spent. But for peace of mind it was not such a bad deal as you never know how dirty they are.

Fred

Gasket maker...

yes , they did give me rtv but i also have a tube of blue rtv in stock and i am meticulious when it comes to prep before applying any gaskets and no this is first time i got a gasket set where they eliminated the rubber end gaskets.
again thanks for tips.
tony

THrow that Blue RTV away!!! If you don't want to have to do the job again and buy a tube of "The right stuff". It's Permatex's TOP of the line stuff, used by GM on the production line. It's better than ANY of the silicon/gasket makers out there, and it dries quick enough that you can drive the car right away.
Clean all the gasket surfaces with a scraper, then brake cleaner with a lint free cloth and don't touch any of the surfaces with your hands because just the oil from your hands can affect the silicon. Use the "The right stuff"(that's the name of it, expensive too) but you won't have to do the job again...

I agree with Caddy bout the permatex. That RTV stuff is okay for lighter and easier to get to parts in case it has to be redone. Use the best stuff out there.

thanks, i am glad i got sick have not put intake back on yet. picked some "right stuff" sunday and will try it tomorrow.
thanks again

Right stuff! really is the right stuff. finished intake project the other day and i can say with confidance i really liked using this new product. compressed good ,sealed good and quick had engine running in an hour. thanks again fpr everyones help.
tony

The "Right Stuff"..............

Right stuff! really is the right stuff.

Some times the ol' guys are worth lisening too!!!!!

Glad I could be of help........................Bruce

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom