Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

93 rear brake pads replace/parking brake

DanC

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Coupe
Searched the forums but didn't see how to do this anywhere.

No problems doing the front pads, but....

I'm trying to replace the rear pads on my 93 w/auto transmission.

The FSM says to disable the automatic adjuster on the parking brake before removing the caliper to replace the pads.

I cannot find the pawl it refers to that needs to be pulled back away from the gear sector with a "hooked tool" or offset screwdriver. Also can't identify what hole to put the drift in to keep the pawl from engaging with the gear sector.

The photos in the FSM aren't clear enough for me to figure this out.

Also, I purchased the NAPA brake hardware kit. I comes with new boots and hex bolts. It appears the forward attaching bolt on the caliper is an allen head. Am I looking at the right thing?

All help is appreciated.

The FSM says to disable the automatic adjuster on the parking brake before removing the caliper to replace the pads.

Not that I would advise someone not to follow the FSM instructions, but I will say that I have skipped that part with no problems. Once when replacing my pads/rotors and again later on when doing the bearings. Our driveway is steep enough to punish me for screwing this up, so I'm comfortable doing so again when necessary.

Once I get off my duff and remove the calipers for a rebuild & paint project, I do plan to disable the adjuster as instructed, since the cable will be disconnected from the caliper at that time.

Also, I purchased the NAPA brake hardware kit. I comes with new boots and hex bolts. It appears the forward attaching bolt on the caliper is an allen head. Am I looking at the right thing?

I'm not sure what is in the kit, but if boots are included, I presume that replacement guide pins are as well. The hex bolt screws into the exposed end of the guide pin at the upper mount on the caliper bracket, while the lower (forward with respect to rotation, I assume is what you meant) is indeed an allen head fastener. If you're only replacing pads, it's probably not necessary to remove it, as the caliper will rotate far enough to get the pads out/in. I haven't had occasion to do it that way, though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom