Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

94 catalytic converters

T

TopDown94

My cats are stopped up on my 94. My question is, what size are the inlet and outlet on them. The dealer wants $2800.00 to replace them. Whats up with that. The car only has 63K miles on it, and I dont understand why they are already bad. Any ideas here on what caused this to begin with? Also, if the inlet/outlet are common sizes, cant I just replace them ?

RIKO

Bad Kitty

Here the deal,

On my 88 I had ALL 3 cats replaced for about $650.00 at an aftermarket muffler place. The reason they go bad is for 2 reasons.

1) Somebody puts carb cleaner in the system ( Not CAT friendly )

2) Octane boost on a regular basis ( Ive heard )

The little pores in the actual CAT bricks gets plugged up...no flow= more heat & they melt or crack and plug the system further and VOLIA you get the potatoe in the tailpipe syndrome!

I used aftermarket cats & they work fine! the 88 exhaust system ( I believe ) is identical to yours

Food for thought

Mike

What are catalytic converters?:D
I'm assuming you have emissions in that part of TX. To bad you couldn't run some 1 3/4" longtubes off the block. The sound is great.

Jay

H ithere,
Yes, there are after market companies that produce the same converters for less money, HOWEVER, it is a violation of EPA guidelines to install a converter that is NOT suited for the displacement of the vehicle.
I know it is alot of money, but research this, try WALKER, AP, MAREMOUNT, or others, for DIRECT replacement converters, for less than the General charges.
They will fit right, and work correctly. Best to you, c4c5

Catalytic Converters

Well....I got the old run around from the dealer.....listen to this.

I got on the net and found Mike's Mufflers and Brakes here in Houston Texas of all places....I called them...got ahold of the owner by chance. HE IS A VETTE OWNER!! Well, he put my car on the lift.....made a whole before and after the cats.....guess what......the Cats are fine! He then welded the holes back up and put the car on a Dyno and code reader. The car checks out fine. They ran all the emmission test ...EVERYTHING! Then.....to top it all of......he wouldnt charge me. He told me to bring it back when its sick....and they would fix it. The car has a clean bill of health.....no bad spark....no bad injectors....nothing. He said it was my imagination that there wasnt enough flow out the exhaust. They had that car hooked up to all kinds of computers.....probes everywhere....in the tailpipe......infared checked heat areas..... code reader under the dash.....fuel pressure.....the works.....I highly reccommend them....they ship cats, pipes, mufflers and K&N Filters all over the world. USE THEM. I will be posting there web page link tomorrow. There are still some Honet shop....and people out there.

RIKO

Hello gang, this is my first post and it's quite fun to chat with Vette' lovers.

I wanted to get into the CAT conversation: of course you'll always get lighter in the wallet if you go back to the dealer. I'm here in Cook County Illinois and we have very strict emissions. I've failed twice in 6 months, first time, did the mufflers. Second time, changed the CAT and replaced the O2 sensor. Third time, they wouldn't run it because the brake light was on.(I messed up the parking brake when I put the O2 sensor in) It only cost me $200 for the CAT including labor.

Bottom line is: go anywhere but the dealer!

Catalytic Converters

Man....with all that that I wrote, I forgot to tell y'all WHAT WAS the matter with the vette. There was no damage under the car except the cross (X) member underneath was bent....like he had had centered a speed bump or something.....thats what is causing the ratteling under the car.....when you get down on it.....the exhaust vibrates against it. He wants me to bring the car in Saturday A.M. He said he would remove it.....bend it back to its orginal shape for....get this.....$45.00.......what a deal!

RIKO

And would someone PLEASE bring back the little smiley guy in the convertible.....it fit me SO WELL!:cool

Re: Bad Kitty

vigman said:

1) Somebody puts carb cleaner in the system ( Not CAT friendly )

2) Octane boost on a regular basis ( Ive heard )

The above is correct. There are types of "carb cleaners" and octane boosters, especially those using MMT as an active ingrediant, that will damage cats.

....guess what......the Cats are fine! He then welded the holes back up and put
the car on a Dyno and code reader. The car checks out fine. They ran all the emmission test ...EVERYTHING!

So....which dealer is this that tried to stick you for a 2800 dollar bill for cats you didn't need?

The Bad Dealer

That Chevrolet Dealer was ......Munday Chevrolet in Houston, Texas

RIKO

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom