Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

94 Parking Emergency Brake Adjustment Questions

Corvette-Pilot

Corvette
1994 Black Rose Coupe
Last year I failed the state inspection because the E-brake didn't hold well enough.
Long story short:
I have the Helm manual and see how to adjust the brakes at the caliper.
There is a set screww that can be adjusted.
So far I have broken 2 3mm allen wrenches trying to turn this screw !!
Thankfully they were Craftsman so I got new ones !

I have tried rust penetrants, WD40, heat ect all with no luck.
Next step might be to try a screw extractor or drill it out and retap the hole?
Not sure what the thread size is if I go this route.

Before I go this far does anyone have some ideas on how to do this ???

PS:
The brake handle does ratchet and hold. I know that you need to cycle it 3-4 time for the auto adjuster to work but I think it is too far off to adjust any further.

HELP !

:z :z :z

Were you ever able to get the emergency brake to hold. I am in the same boat as you. Brake doesnt hold when I give it gas.

Nope ???

Just got lucky and the inspection station I went to this year didn't check it.
I know it is an issue with those damn little set screws but I broke 2 wrenches trying to get them out. They are going to have to be drilled and replaced I guess.

Is it in an area where it is safe to heat it with a tourch ? usually once heated and cooled screws come lose. also are you sure your brake pads aren't worn to the point where the park brake cable can't do it's job. Might be as easy as installing new pads. On my 89 Riv I have never had to adjust the park brake in over 100,000 miles of driving . It has rear disk brakes and I have installed new pads just once. Just about due again. The car now has 210,000 miles on it. :w

According to Richard Newton in his 101 Projects you have to pull the brake on about 60 times to make sure it is adjusted up. It seems you should use the brake all the time to keep it adjusted or you are not going to have full braking and the front brakes are going to do most of the work. It's worth a try.

I almost never ever use the e-brake when I park the car, even in down town... I shift into 1st gear and leave the car like that whenever parked. Is that a bad habit???

Reason why I do not use the e-brake:

1. I can forget it is on and drive the car... I have done that to other cars by the way!
2. I am afraid in cold weather it may stick and does not come lose.

Cheers,

Selim

Tried the heat trick. The screws are put in with thread lock.
The brakes were done at the dealership just before I bought the car so they never adjusted them in the first place. I took it back but they had lots of excusses but no solution.

SSTibet said:
I almost never ever use the e-brake when I park the car, even in down town... I shift into 1st gear and leave the car like that whenever parked. Is that a bad habit???

Reason why I do not use the e-brake:

1. I can forget it is on and drive the car... I have done that to other cars by the way!
2. I am afraid in cold weather it may stick and does not come lose.

Cheers,

Selim
If using the brake is what it takes to adjust it then you "use it or loose it"

Can you heat up the area around the set screw? A trick that I learned when I worked rebuilding water pumps for removing pipe plugs and set screws is to heat up the area immediately close to the set screw. Squirt water right in the hole in the set screw using a squirt bottle. That cools and shrinks the set screw without cooling the hole. Immediately, use the allen wrench and turn set screw. Another method using less heat is to heat up the area surrounding the set screw for 8 to 10 seconds and immediately turn the set screw. This way the hole is heated and enlarged, but not the set screw. Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom