Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'96 Center Stop Light

3 Deuce

Corvette
1996 LT 4 Polo Green Coupe
On my '96 the center stop light material is dull...I've tried WD 40, wax, polish, cleaner...nada. The tailights are glossy, no dulling, ie: like the exhaust might be causing it?

At a Corvette show this weekend, it seemed to be divided between dull and glossy and no one had an answer...Was there a run of plastic for the lenses that was bad??? I'll order another one but I don't want to get some more of the bad batch if there is some. Any help?

What kind of polish and cleaner did you use? I had good luck with 3M's Marine Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish. I had some laying around for my boat plastic and used it on the lenses for the reverse lights and they came out pretty nice. I did use it on the center brake light as well. Cleared it up, but wasn't near as smooth as the main lenses. Try something like that before spending the money on a new lens.

And welcome to the CAC. :D

Stoplight

'preciate the reply...

2 other products that work on that thing....

1) Meguires polish (part of the three step wax they have, i am pretty sure it is step 1... it is a brown liquid)

2) Zymol HD Cleanse... more expensive, about the same product.. a brown liquid... you can get it from www.zymol.com

both will clear up that one, and also make the reverse lights crystal clear... they are usually overlooked.

Don't get caught doing this.. I've improved the look of lenses by putting them in the dishwasher with a normal load of soap. The soap is much stronger than anything you would ever use on your car so it cleans like mad. Also sometimes the cloudiness is caused from dust etc. on the inside of the lens which is hard to clean even with removal and brushes etc. Don't let the lenses get to the hot dry cycle. Try it on your tin car's lenses first, if you're not sure about this. Better - your neighbours lenses - and dishwasher!!!

Without the ability to get a visual on the lens...........it's a "wag".........everyone above this post is on the right track.............but if I might.........3M's Hand Glaze...........it's good on the rest of the car, too.........If that doesn't get it.......use 3M's Finesse It II...first......then..... the hand glaze............If you have a dremel to buff it with....all the better ........and may actually be what IS needed.......use the high speed dremel ..not the cordless.........Heck, you can even do false teeth and partials in the diswasher..........the trick is ..........remembering to use jet dry so they don't spot...............
cwmddd.gif

Try Meguires plastic cleaner and then plastic polish. Have been using these products for years and they are the best for cleaning plastic everything from bad convertible windows to your watch crystal. Should be at any auto parts store.

Hint: easier if you take the lens out. place a terry cloth rag on a table, squeese cleaner into rag and move the lens over the rag rather than moving the rag over the lens. Do again for the polish with a different rag.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom