Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 96 coupe headlight motor relays, location

M

marty.g

i can't find the headlight motor relays. i believe i have found the isolation relay, located left side under hood forward of wheel well. it has 2 plugs there i believe the colors match the motor connector colors. i unplugged them and tested with a test light and no current. however there is still a drain on my battery, i believe there is still draw at the relays, and i need to find them to isolate the system. mid america sells a kit to repair the motor from freewheeling till it finds the stop. can anyone;help me please:confused

Here's a pic. It's located on the driver's side fender well.

If the problem persists after you check the relay, I'd check the headlight motor bushings, too. You can get them from Mid-America, Eckler's, ect...

Here's the link for how-to install them from Corvette Fever.

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/index.html

Module.jpg

Here's a pic. It's located on the driver's side fender well.

If the problem persists after you check the relay, I'd check the headlight motor bushings, too. You can get them from Mid-America, Eckler's, ect...

Here's the link for how-to install them from Corvette Fever.

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/index.html

Module.jpg
His problem is the bushings!! If there isn't enough drag on the Headlight motors they can run till the cows come home,and still not trip the relays off!!:upthumbs

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=868930&postcount=8

that's the one i found, and as i said too, i disconnected the motors and illiminated them from the circuit and was still getting a draw. i do want to get that relay. what's it called and where do i find one. i would hate to go to the dealer!! i have ordered the bushings from a site on ebay, way much less than mid america. the paper back chilton calls for 2 more relays one for each side. the system changed in 1992 up. thanks again for all input. appreciate the replies.

that's the one i found, and as i said too, i disconnected the motors and illiminated them from the circuit and was still getting a draw. i do want to get that relay. what's it called and where do i find one. i would hate to go to the dealer!! i have ordered the bushings from a site on ebay, way much less than mid america. the paper back chilton calls for 2 more relays one for each side. the system changed in 1992 up. thanks again for all input. appreciate the replies.
The earlier models has 3 smaller relays,1 for each side and 1 that controles both of them. That is the only headlamp relay for 96,I think GM went to this one in 89-90 on Corvette,it controls both sides, It senses load when the motors come clear open to stop or clear closed to stop and shuts each motor down!! If the bushings are really,really bad there will be not enough load to shut them down and the motor can run till the battery is dead if you let it!There is a Micro Computer in that box!!! Firebird and Fiero use the same relay,and I've always got them at the GM Dealer !! :upthumbs

PS What makes you think it's bad??

It's called a headlight motor module. If you can get the GM part number from your dealer, you can purchase one on-line cheaper.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom