Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

96 LT1 Exhaust Questions

Green LT1

Corvette
1997 White Coupe
I have the stock exhaust system on my 1996 LT1 coupe. It is just a little too "civilized" for me. I think my 'Vette should sound like a sports car, not like my minivan. I am looking for a slightly more aggressive sound, but nothing obnoxious. Muffler eliminators are too loud for me. I have done some research into the mufflers/catback systems available, and have almost ruled out the Borla/B&B/Corsa stainless catback systems. The B&B seems too loud, the Corsa seems too quiet, and all three seem too expensive. I have tentatively narrowed my choices to the Flowmaster #17217 catback system or the Magnaflow #15623 stainless mufflers. I am leaning toward the Flowmaster setup. I am mostly concerned with adding a deeper, more aggressive tone, and any increase in power would be nice (but not my real goal). Is anyone running the Flowmaster setup? How much of an increase in idle/acceleration sound can I expect? How has the system held up (rusting?). Is anyone aware of any sound clips of an LT1 C-4 with the Flowmaster system? Has anyone installed the Magnaflow #15623 stainless mufflers? Any opinions? I am relatively new to this great site, and any help would be appreciated! :D

Green,

If you do a search for "exhaust" in the C-4 Mods forum, you'll find many discussions on this topic, some with links to the sound clips you're looking for.

Happy hunting!

Personally, I like the Corsa System (I have it!)

But, for what you seem to be saying, I'd go with just the MagnaFlow mufflers installed on the stock pipes.

I have been running MagnaFlow for 8 years on my GMC pick-up to get the deeper mellow tone you desire. I love the sound on a 5.7L throttle body motor!

I was using the "aluminized" mufflers, not stainless (on the pick-up truck) they give a lifetime gaurantee on them, guess what, this past September, after 8 years of daily use, rain salt, snow, ect..., they rusted enough and my muffler shop replaced them with brand new for FREE!!! and they are not cheap mufflers.

For the Vette, I would go with the stainless, since they are viseable from behind. But, they do support, and back up there products.

Thanks very much for the replies, fastglass95, Rich96c4ce and WradDad. I will do some more research before I take the plunge. My brother put a Magnaflow stainless catback on his 2001 Mustang GT, and it sounds absolutely great. I have some concerns about cutting up my stock system, just in case I want to go back, but I can probably get over that! Fastglass95, how much of an increase in exhaust tone did you get with the Corsa system at idle and during normal cruising? Of the three major stainless catback systems, Corsa seems to be the best for what I am after. Thanks.

De-civilization

We share the same opinion of the stock system on the LT-1. You must consider the coupe design with the big glass hatch as a resonance chamber. With Flows or Magnas you are going to get real loud resonant vibes in there, enough to really matter.

Where do you get the info on Corsa being too quiet? They are twice as loud as stock, in a good way. And the lack of ANY obstruction(you can roll a golf ball down to the cats) creates more power. They scream at WOT and rumble pretty at cruise, and are simple to install. Mo pedal, mo loud.

The Power Effects are rated highly, but most just leave the valve wide open anyway, so the adjustment factor is sort of along for the ride. Very pricey.

If it's only sound consideration new mufflers are OK. Performance upgrade and all around sound and looks go to Corsa. You may want to hear your stereo or carry on a conversation in the future.

Magna Flow cost $500 for muffs. Corsa is $825 for all new steel lifetime warranty.

Come on down to Geargia for a test ride. Or find somebody up there with Corsas before you blow them off as not sounding right.
The clips are all wrong on the net. Nothing like the real sound.

tlong, thanks VERY much for this info on the Corsa setup. I now feel somewhat better about the Corsa system. I have read quite a bit about the resonance pproblems with some systems, and I really want to avoid that. I have read quite a few posts in this and other forums where Corsa is bashed for being too quiet. However, sound is very subjective, so it is hard to make a decision until I have actually heard an LT1 with the Corsa system. Where can I buy the Corsa catback for $825? Who has the best price on it? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Shopping for Parts

I got mine from Corvette America. I just called and asked for a deal on it, and this guy Bill helped me out.

I noticed none used for sale. That says alot.

Search Google and start calling. But first make sure they are what YOU want. I was in the same situation and couldn't be happier with my choice after I heard a set on a car just like mine. Corsa started in the boat exhaust business, and they sound a little like a Bertram at idle. Some hate it. You are purchasing no resonance technology.

Find a club meeting up there and compare. You will have no problem finding guys ready to show off their choices. Then turn off the ASR and get loud and crazy! There is personal freedom lurking in politically incorrect behaviour.

Green LT1 said:
Where can I buy the Corsa catback for $825? Who has the best price on it?

Price will vary with supply and demand at various sellers.
You can try at Bloomington Gold in St. Charles, IL. in June, or go to Mid America Designs "Funfest" in September and enjoy 10% off with free shipping, day of event only!

Or, check with Shawn Hanna at Car-Vette, Inc. in Minnesota, they will ship and have reasonable pricing. (also install if needed)
There website is: Car-Vette.com

I do not think that Corsa sells to the general public, but they are located near Cleveland, Ohio.

As for your Corsa system? How many do you see for sale used? (none!) that says a lot right there.

I love mine, quite at idle, but roars under full power, all with NO resonance as with muffler eliminators. All stainless steel as well.

Good luck

It is just a little too "civilized" for me. I think my 'Vette should sound like a sports car, not like my minivan

I agree with you. In fact the very first mod I did was install Muffler Eliminators. They sounds GREAT!

Thanks for the Corvette Forum link - that is the best price I have seen. What does "GP runs February" mean??

Flowmasters on my 95 LT1 drove me nuts at around15-1800 rpm. Sounded good outside but too much drone inside. I don't know if they still have the same tips as I had but they were CHEAP and rusty. I fell for the low price.

I have the Magnaflow stainless steel mufflers and like them a lot. They are definitely more agressive sounding but not obnoxious or offensive.

I had the local muffler shop, who was also a Magnaflo authorized shop, to weld them on for me. So I am not much help if you are thinking about bolting yours on.

Green LT1 said:
Thanks for the Corvette Forum link - that is the best price I have seen. What does "GP runs February" mean??

GP=group purchase
It is over in February.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I will probably avoid the Flowmaster cat back, and go with either the Magnaflow stainless mufflers or the Corsa stainless cat back system. Once I take the plunge, I will post my thoughts on the ease of installation (I will do it myself no matter which way I go) and the sound.

DWC said:
I have the Magnaflow stainless steel mufflers and like them a lot. They are definitely more agressive sounding but not obnoxious or offensive.

Same here, but I added a balance tube between the two pipes just before the spare tire for resonance and it improved the sound a lot and performance.

vettered91 said:
Same here, but I added a balance tube between the two pipes just before the spare tire for resonance and it improved the sound a lot and performance.

does it matter where the balance tube is installed? ive always seen them b4 the mufflers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom