Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 96 lt4 or Collectors lt4

1996 LT4 Topic

shagtones

OK...new development... HELP!

I can go with the CElt4 w/32k on the clock in near mint condition for 19k plus about a grand for transporting as car is across the country, OR, I can go with a local 1996 lt4 I ran across w/53k on the clock in near mint condition (car was purchased from Rodger's in Orlando...doesn't get much better than Rodger's for quality) with Borla headers and Borla cat back exhaust for 15K.

Which would be the better deal?
Thanks

They both seem like good deals but if it were my money I would go with the CE.

:beer

Opinions vary...if you want the collectability of a car, then the CE of course. But you have to be able to justify the additional 5K. I was in the same position as you about a year ago. Once I crushed the numbers, ran the carfax and knew the history of the car from birth...I made my decision. As you can see from sig, I decided to put the money in mods!!:D

ce if you are not going to drive it much,

the other if you will drive/race it.

Not even the CE would be considered a super low mile car; neither are likely to appreciate a lot in the near future although the CE should do better in the long run. If your going to use the car the milage difference is not that great. I would say the local car is a better buy if you like the color and options. Either way sounds like your going to end up with a great car.:beer

The mileage difference is about $1700.00 so I guess it depends which color and wheels you like best. Any different options? = $'s I would say a toss up as far as value.

I've been looking at LT4s (idly) lately and both cars are priced very well from what I've been seeing. . .

You'll be happy either way!

Enjoy!

shagtones said:
OK...new development... HELP!

I can go with the CElt4 w/32k on the clock in near mint condition for 19k plus about a grand for transporting as car is across the country, OR, I can go with a local 1996 lt4 I ran across w/53k on the clock in near mint condition (car was purchased from Rodger's in Orlando...doesn't get much better than Rodger's for quality) with Borla headers and Borla cat back exhaust for 15K.

Which would be the better deal?
Thanks

what color is the rogers car? it could be more rare/desirable than a CE.

If you are going to drive it, the higher mile car is a far better deal. If you are going to put few miles on it (2-3k / yr), the CE is better

I say go with the CE hands down. It always turns heads, is unique inside and out, and is noticeably not a "stock" looking mass production 96 vette. No offense to those without CEs, but I like the silver, the ZR1 wheels, seat graphics, and knowledge that mine stands apart at least visually from the status quo 96 vettes.

rpo code question

I requested the rpo from the CE seller and recieved the following:

AG1 AG2 AK5 AQ9 BGR CF7 C68 DL5 DL8 FE1 GM3
IL4 J55 KG9 LT4 ML9 MN6 NB6 NC7 NG1 NG5 MK4
QD2 R7A R8T UU8 UX0 U52 U75 VL7 V73 XAA YAA Z15
1AY 1SB 13U 17P 191 194

Some of the codes I couldn't find and I don't know why...do they appear correct?

I did find the following one and it concerns me.

NB6 - Emission System, California, Tier 1.

Would a Ca emission sys be a performance hinderence?, an expense issue if it malfunctions?, etc.

thanks guys

NADA price books rate GS and CE as collectables, and other '96 Vettes as plain old used cars.

Obviously, I'm biased, but if you want a car with increasing future value, get the CE.

Mine has 118K miles on it, but it always gets compliments even though it is not a perfect car. Its a 20 footer, but it never fails to turn heads.

Get what you like

I would advise getting what appeals to you....unless you are talking about a significantly "collectible model'. The GS may very well fit that description. However, I really don't think one should buy a CE thinking they have picked up a rare car.

I test drove that exact car before i got mine. The guy lives in ocoee near orlando. The car is red with red leather. Dont get it. The paint has scratches all over it. The tires are all shot and the rims are scratched. And the exhaust doesn't really sound that good.

volavet said:
I say go with the CE hands down. It always turns heads, is unique inside and out, and is noticeably not a "stock" looking mass production 96 vette. No offense to those without CEs, but I like the silver, the ZR1 wheels, seat graphics, and knowledge that mine stands apart at least visually from the status quo 96 vettes.

I agree 100%:_rock

shagtones said:
Would a Ca emission sys be a performance hinderence?, an expense issue if it malfunctions?, etc.
thanks guys

As I understand it, all CE's are 50 state smog compliant. Believe me, it will still have more rush than you'll no what to do with! (yea, I know, bad grammer)

Collector Edition ? There's nothing collectable about them.... they where the most mass produced Corvette of 1996. A chrome badge on the hood dosen't make it collectable. Low miles and rare colors/options will make it worth more some day, long after were all dead and gone. Get the best LT4 you can for the money and enjoy the ride.

I respectfully dissagree. We are speaking solely with regard to LT4s, the one year production only engine, of which only 1,540 CE coupes were produced, which is 7% of the total production of 21,536. In addition, I am biased towards my car, but I dont ever see any other CE's on the road unless I am going to Carlisle. I love all vettes, especially LT4s, but I just respectfully dissagree with your generalization about CE's collectability and being the most mass produced car of 1996.

my 2 Cents

Don't get me wrong I love the CE's, but to say it collectable because of a chome badge I have to disagee. Don't you think a Aqua LT4 conv. with a Beige int. (only 2 built) would be worth more than the CE LT4 conv. with red int. (68 built) all car conditions being equal? At the least it would be the same price, not $5k difference.

The regular production color LT4 coupe's are more rare than the 1540-CE's. 54-Aqua, 62-Purple, and 122-Yellow.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom