Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: A/C air recirculation

A1Avette79

Corvette
1979 White Coupe
I live in Florida and our outside temperature is hot in the winter and hotter in the summer. My a/c works great at night or on rare cool days but struggles on hot days especially in city driving.
Newer cars have a "recirculation" mode for the a/c to allow the user to re-cool inside air instead of constantly trying to cool down hot outside air. I read somewhere that you should run your a/c on the recirc. mode most of the time for cooling efficiency and occassionally run it on outside air mode for a few minutes to eliminate moisture (mold) in the system.
Can C-3's be modified to work this way? Does anybody make a flapper valve kit that can be installed in the a/c ducts?
Are there any improvements that can be made to the fan for additional cooling in stop and go traffic?
Thanks,
Trenton

I belive the Max air postion provides air recirculation where Normal position continues to use outside air.
Here in Oklahoma when its 102 in the shade, I don't get much A/C at all. I sloved the problem by purchasing a brand new 08 which I will drive on the "hot days". ;LOL

I wish I could solve my problem the same way! Unfortunately my 79 is my only transportation.

The "Max" mode is recirculation - the others are outside air; you don't have to convert anything if your system is working properly. :)

The "Max" mode is recirculation - the others are outside air; you don't have to convert anything if your system is working properly. :)

As JohnZ said, Max position should shut the internal doors that draw air in from the outside. If this isn't happening, maybe there's a leak between the door (think there's only 1 on pax side, in footwell) and plenum, or the vacuum supply to the door isn't working.

This article might help with the re-circ doors:
http://home.comcast.net/~chadwick.robert/ventilation.htm

and the diagrams and attached document in my post on this thread are good for trouble-shooting HVAC vacuum issues:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=915573#post915573
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom