Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Compressor runs hot

L

Lou88vette

After starting my 88 vette and a short warm up time, I engage the A/C, temp set to 65 degrees and the clutch engages and cold air, not real cold, blows from registers. The compressor runs for approximately 2 minutes, the low pressure side is cold, hi side is hot but the compressor is so hot that I can't leave my hand on it for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Then the clutch starts cycling on for approx. 10 seconds and cuts out for approx 15 seconds and then this cycle continues while the registers blow out luke warm air. When this cycling occurs, the engine also seems to be loaded and struggling to maintain idle. After about 5 minutes of this cycling, the compressor is so hot that I really can't touch it because it is that hot. Has anyone else had this problem before and if so, was the compressor bad or could there be something else causing the compressor to run that hot? It seems to me that the compressor is cutting out on high pressure or overheating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After starting my 88 vette and a short warm up time, I engage the A/C, temp set to 65 degrees and the clutch engages and cold air, not real cold, blows from registers. The compressor runs for approximately 2 minutes, the low pressure side is cold, hi side is hot but the compressor is so hot that I can't leave my hand on it for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Then the clutch starts cycling on for approx. 10 seconds and cuts out for approx 15 seconds and then this cycle continues while the registers blow out luke warm air. When this cycling occurs, the engine also seems to be loaded and struggling to maintain idle. After about 5 minutes of this cycling, the compressor is so hot that I really can't touch it because it is that hot. Has anyone else had this problem before and if so, was the compressor bad or could there be something else causing the compressor to run that hot? It seems to me that the compressor is cutting out on high pressure or overheating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thats exactly what its doing. Are your cooling fans for the radiator coming on when the a/c compressor is running? THAT is a MUST. If the fans do not turn on with the a/c then the system super heats and the heat exchange is prevented at the condensor.

IF the fans ARE coming on, they are enough to handle an avg day but not extremes. Since the car is a bottom feeder it likes to be moving to collect fresh cool air for the condensor even with fans running. Fans only pull air thru...they cannot pull air TO the nose.

It needs to be on gauges to see what the compressor is doing. If fans work, and its still getting that hot,. the compressor may be failing OR there is a blockage at the expansion valve. Installing test gauges will tell the tale and show what low side is doing and just how high the hi side is getting...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom