Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: A/C compressor??

vettebob

The A/C compressor just went out on my 1987 Corvette. My brother has had numerous problems with replacement compressors going bad in about a year on his Camaro and his Trans Am. I don't want to do this job twice, but my budget is limited.

So, what compressor should I buy? Reman or new? What brand?

Thanks for any advice on this,
vettebob

You'd probably be safe with a re-manufactured compressor, depending on the warranty available...

Just make sure to cycle it frequently after install (I think 'Defroster' setting deploys the compressor, as well as A/C)...

The A/C compressor just went out on my 1987 Corvette. My brother has had numerous problems with replacement compressors going bad in about a year on his Camaro and his Trans Am. I don't want to do this job twice, but my budget is limited.

So, what compressor should I buy? Reman or new? What brand?

Thanks for any advice on this,
vettebob

The price of new compressors is stupid high. Remans with lifetime warranty are available IF you go by their rules.
The key to the life of ANY a/c compressor is cleanliness of the installation and how well the owner treats the a/c system while in use.

You MUST get a new dryer/accumalator with a new compressor. A new orifice as well. The system MUST be flushed so ALL trash from the dead compressor is removed. Treat it like open heart surgery....needs to be just as clean. The system must be evacuated not only for cooling efficiency,. but to rid it of moisture that mixes with the 134-a and turns acidic.
My O'Riellys store would not issue my warranty unless I bought the dryer and orifice AND proved that I evac'ed the system...and bought oil. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough. Its worth it to measure and add exactly as the book describes.
Auto-Zone has vac pumps and gauges for rent.....actually for free, just pay the deposit and get it all back when the tools are returned.

After its installed and running, always shut the a/c off before shutting the engine down. Never start the engine with the a/c engaged. The slow chugging of a starter damages the compressor if its forced to turn while the engine cranks.

If there was only one word to describe how to get long life out of a reman a/c compressor....it would have to be "cleanliness".
If a compressor failed, there is trash all thru the system and that will be the death of the next compressor if its not 100% cleaned out.

Further explanation...

The system was retrofitted with R-134. I dismantled the entire system, including removing the condensor, all lines, and the compressor. I flushed and cleaned everything thoroughly. Then I assembled the system with a new acumulator, new orifice tube, new esther oil, and vacuumed the system down. I kept the vacuum at nearly 30 inches for an hour. I then turned the vacuum off, and it held the vacuum for two hours. So I charged it with R-12, and it worked perfectly for several long trips. I turned it on about two weeks ago even though it was chilly out to keep the system circulated. Then the car sat unused for about 3 weeks. Then when I went to use the car, the A/C wouldn't come on. I can see some evidence of oil in a few spots around the compressor, but nowhere else. I suspect the compressor just leaked the freon out. I can turn the compressor over by hand. I don't have the special tools to rebuild the compressor, so I need a new one. But I don't want to spend 300 bucks for a new one if a rebuilt one will actually last for several years, and cost half the price.

Thanks,
vettebob

The system was retrofitted with R-134. I dismantled the entire system, including removing the condensor, all lines, and the compressor. I flushed and cleaned everything thoroughly. Then I assembled the system with a new acumulator, new orifice tube, new esther oil, and vacuumed the system down. I kept the vacuum at nearly 30 inches for an hour. I then turned the vacuum off, and it held the vacuum for two hours. So I charged it with R-12, and it worked perfectly for several long trips. I turned it on about two weeks ago even though it was chilly out to keep the system circulated. Then the car sat unused for about 3 weeks. Then when I went to use the car, the A/C wouldn't come on. I can see some evidence of oil in a few spots around the compressor, but nowhere else. I suspect the compressor just leaked the freon out. I can turn the compressor over by hand. I don't have the special tools to rebuild the compressor, so I need a new one. But I don't want to spend 300 bucks for a new one if a rebuilt one will actually last for several years, and cost half the price.

Thanks,
vettebob

How do you know there is a compressor problem?
There are electrical issues at the control head, BCM and along the safety switches that ALL will stop the compressor from coming on.In fact, just about anything will prevent the compressor from running on these cars...

Figure out if the pressure has been lost or not. These things should hold the charge for years unless the compressor shaft seal was damaged from solvents or being left dry. First thing with any compressor is to add some oil and rotate the shaft 10-20 revs by hand to wet the seal so it does not blow out from being dry when pressure hits it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom