Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

a/c delete

patrickj

Corvette
1985 2003
Hi everyone got a question regarding the a/c condenser/blower motor housing.I am completely eliminating my a/c as this is not my daily driver and i am also having clearance problems in the compressor area as I am using tall valve covers.I am looking for a way to modify the housing as it makes spark plug access difficult.Engine re-build in progress and the engine is still out so now is the time.Oh this is on my 85. Thanks :upthumbs

Do you still require the blower to operate?
If not you can unbolt complete unit and plate the hole that is left.
If you still want blower function ,you cut the part of the housing holding the evap core off and rebuild with f/ glass so you have a pathway from blower motor to the entry hole in firewall
Plenty of room for engine access and still have fan working for fresh air
Will see if I can get some pics of mine

You are awesome my friend hope to see your pics as i want to keep the blower motor

What is your rebuild costing you and what are you putting in the freshened block for cam, heads, intake and what not?

What is your rebuild costing you and what are you putting in the freshened block for cam, heads, intake and what not?

I am using Speed pro pistons, scat rods, procomp aluminum heads 2.02/1.94 stainless steel valves, slightly higher lift 447 lift cam. Going to port match TPI intake set-up with a 58mm throttle body.Modified HEI dist. I am at 3 grand and the motor is still out. I will post pics when done if anyone is interested.I have kept the cost down by doing as much as possible myself.

i want to keep the blower motor
Acdelete.jpg

Remove A/c housing , split apart and remove evap core.Bolt back together.Screw housing to a piece of plywood to maintain shape
and cut along line shown.
Needs to be 1/2"+ high at inner end where atr enters firewall to keep area the same as hole size.,
While still bolted down fabricate flat replacement for removed area ( I pop riveted alum sheet in ) and glass over.
Refix to firewall
Ac.jpg

I am using Speed pro pistons, scat rods, procomp aluminum heads 2.02/1.94 stainless steel valves, slightly higher lift 447 lift cam. Going to port match TPI intake set-up with a 58mm throttle body.Modified HEI dist. I am at 3 grand and the motor is still out. I will post pics when done if anyone is interested.I have kept the cost down by doing as much as possible myself.

Looks like a good build, have you already bought the 58 mm TB? If so might as well install it your stock tb is wore out anyway. What brand 58 mm tb are you going with?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom