Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C Flush Procedure

Corvette
1986 "Bright Red" Coupe
I'm replacing the compressor and condensor in my 86' this winter, anybody have some good recomendations for flushing the evaporator core? I'm replacing everything else, compressor, condensor, hoses, seals etc with new R134a compatable parts. What is the best solvent to use to flush the condensor?

First and foremost you must not leave "any" flushing solvent in the system!
FLUSHING WITH ESTER BASED SOLVENT
I just received a retrofit kit that contains an ester based solvent for flushing. The kit that I bought was produced by FJC, Inc., 101 Commercial Drive, Mooresville, NC 28115. This flushing solvent is very oily, I would discribe it as thined down ester oil. Ester oil is the oil that I reccomend use when you retrofit to R-134a. FJC promotes it as 100% environmentally safe and biodegradable. I have not tried it yet but am open to any information from end users.
OUR PROCEDURES FOR FLUSHING AUTO A/C SYSTEM
We use a plastic bottle to put the solvent into the system then we blow it through with a rubber tip blow gun. We only flush through heat exchangers and free flowing hoses. We use dry air or nitrogen at about 125 PSI to blow through the system. We flush in a reverse direction to refrigerant flow first to dislodge any material caught inside. After we flush the system to our satisfaction, we pop the components dry in both directions.
Pop the components dry, means that:
We blow the major part of the solvent through the component and catch it in a capture tank or shop rags.
We hold the blow gun tight at one end of the component.
We hold our finger over the other end until it builds up pressure.
We release our finger letting it blow off pressure.
We repeat until there is no sign of solvent coming out.
When we flush we pull a long vacuum.
Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom