Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C for an intercooler?

MaineShark

Corvette
1979 L82, 1987 Buick Grand National
I was browsing around randomly, and decided to check out the "other forum." I came across an interesting topic by one member. He used a water/air intercooler, and hooked the lines to a resevoir in the back (pretty standard stuff, up to this point). Instead of filling the resevoir with ice for runs, he submerged an A/C evaporator coil in it, and tied it into the stock A/C system. The A/C cools the water in the resevoir, which the intercooler can then use to cool the air charge. He wired it up to kill the A/C clutch when under boost, to free up that parasitic power drain, but then it comes back on when the run is over, to cool the water again.

Sounds like a pretty slick system, to me. I'm getting some ideas :)

Joe

Seems like the weight and complexity of the system would eliminate any HP gain. You might as well just use NO2 for those short runs.

Well, I can't see that it would be any heavier than a typical air-water-air setup.

The theory is that you are really only generating significant compression heat during short portions of your drive, so the resevoir provides plenty of heat sink for those times.

I'm curious if anyone has actually done this, and what the results were.

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom