Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: A/C Issue

RonnieH

Corvette
2012 Crystal Red Metallic
Went to use my A/C for the first time last week ('90 Coupe). Nothing happened - I first checked fuses and they were o.k. Then I remembered seeing the indicator light above the climate control "Auto" selector button flashing at the end of last season which may indicate low gas. Driving the car in the middle of the day w/black interior and no A/C is not pleasant, so for now it sits in the garage until a relatively cool day presents itself.

I used to recharge my systems in the past when they still used R-12. I haven't checked on the Vette yet, but I'm hoping it is not R-12 and I can charge it myself. I have a set of manifold guages and have charged both auto and home systems in the past.

My question is twofold - Hopefully the Vette is not R-12 and uses R-130. I remember the good ole days of buying cans of R-12 at the local WalMart for about $1.00. At one time, I had about a case of it, but let it go as I phased out my cars requiring R-12. If so and I can charge it myself, I assume I can just jump out the electrical connector on top of the compressor to get it running so it can be charged.

Hopefully, someone on the forum has had to charge their unit and can provide some details on how best to accomplish the task rather than take it to a commercial dealer - it's been so long since I have had A/C problems, I don't know who is reasonable/reliable in my area.

Thanks for any help.

Your Vette came with R-12 refrigerant from the factory. If no one has changed it over to R-134 refrigerant, then the R-12 would still be in the system.

Corvette started using R-134 in 1994.

Good luck on finding R-12. Very expensive. If you take it to a shop which has R-12 recovery equipment, they will take yours out, clean it and put it back in with the right amount of R-12. Every one charges differently, so you will have to investigate.

A shop can change your system over to R-134. Again, every one charges differently, so you have to call and inquire.

Parts stores now sell R-134 for about $5 to $10 a lb.

SAVE THE :w

lt4man is right, your car probably uses r12. It is plentiful on ebay, I've seen it as low as $20 a can though. Anyone with a 609 certification can buy it.

I just had my 88 changed over to r134,,patrs were about $60 and my mechanic charged about $100. labor and for the r 134. It works well but the the compressor really needs to replaced but that will have to wait.It should finish out the summer R 12 is getting more expensive and harder to get.

A/C Fixed

Thanks to all who replied. The fix ended up being very easy. Checking out the system, found the low pressure Schrader valve was loose. I suspect that was the source of a small leak. Took the Vette to a local shop and had them check for any other possible leaks with dye. Found no further problems and had it retro'd with R-134 just in case I have to add gas down the road. For anyone else considering a changeover, I found a shop that (at least to me) was very reasonable and very thorough and they charged me $120. This may give you a point of reference if you are considering switching. I had heard of some shops in the area charging $200 and up. At this time I also completed installation of the fan modification from Mid-America which allows both fans to run simultaneously and thus keeping the temperature well below the 245 degree range when stuck in traffic or in-town driving. With the mod., you can have either one or both fans run from start-up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom