Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C problems on my Z

• Thread starter Thread starter FrogindaBlender
  • Start date Start date
F

FrogindaBlender

I have been fighting with my 91 zr1 ac for a few months now. The problem is no cold air. I am getting a intermittant sun sensor short (08) code on the diagnostics. From what I have been able to diagnose so far is as follows. Compressor spins freely (engine off), Compressor Clutch does not engage (engine on), A/C Compressor relay engages however unknown if power going to Clutch. I wanted to connect power to the two wires coming out of the compressor at the front of the to see if the clutch would engage but i did not want to blow something out. Any Ideas?

Hey Frogindablender. Do you know my friend, Gerbilindamicrowave?

I wouldn't jump the compressor clutch, you might destroy the compressor in doing so. Most likely you are low on gas and the low pressure sensor is preventing the compressor from running. Could be the sensor itself though. Maybe an A/C mechanic will chime in.

FrogindaBlender said:
I have been fighting with my 91 zr1 ac for a few months now. The problem is no cold air. I am getting a intermittant sun sensor short (08) code on the diagnostics. From what I have been able to diagnose so far is as follows. Compressor spins freely (engine off), Compressor Clutch does not engage (engine on), A/C Compressor relay engages however unknown if power going to Clutch. I wanted to connect power to the two wires coming out of the compressor at the front of the to see if the clutch would engage but i did not want to blow something out. Any Ideas?

What you should do is take the car to a a/c shop for proper diagnostics. I am very confident that I can tell you what to do to fix your problem if I was assured that you had the skills to work on this problem. But I'll tell ya', you scare the hell out of me when you want to jump things out and supply voltage to components. In my humble opinion you would possibly make things possibly worse then they are.

Believe me when I don't know what I'm doing on my car I get help fast. You can test for voltage at the compressor clutch coil assuming that you have a test meter and the skills to use it properly.

Do you have these skills and tools?

;shrug

Thank you for your response. I have a fluke multimeter and am from an electronics background. I have a the skills set to confidently handle electronics and power while worry about the three biggies; electrocution, static, and stupidity. BTW I know what all the funny symbols on the meter mean also! LOL! The reason I am skittish about poking the wires is 1. this is a very contaminated area and will possibly create a issue wear there is not one before. 2. I did not want to push reverse power back to the ccc if I could help it, not knowing if it would damage it. 3. Could there be something else ive missed.

I just got into the car and I saw two problems today. Sun load sensor is still showing short or open condition and now the temperature outside is not reading correctly by at least 20 degrees.

Try this.

First, unhook the battery, then reconnect and try it. I know it sounds nuts....but it works 99% of the time. The climate control head will lock out the compressor if it detects too many "cycles" in a given period which otherwise indicates you are low on freon.

You can unplug the a/c clutch wire, and jumper a power and ground to the clutch, and it should engage. You could even have the car running, jump it, and see if it gets cold.

Try battery thing. If it works, it will actually let you run for a few more weeks or months before it kicks out again...depending on how low your freon level is.

Been there. the shop manual has a tree diagnosing the prob. mostly pointing to sun sensor failures. Problem is an 08 code. But the clutch is not engaging I have good pressure on the system and all the other settings seem good. the compressor is not frozen. and the last time I got cold air the system was on for a bit then got cold then quit again. still had the sun sensor error though with the cold air coming.

As absurd as it sounds...try the battery trick. It has helped others in the past, maybe this is the magic key for you.

You can have freon in the system,...but just low enough to cause the clutch to cycle in and out beyond the max number of times the system will allow.

If...it comes back online after you reconnect the battery, simply head down to your local a/c shop and have the system topped off.

69MyWay said:
Try this.

First, unhook the battery, then reconnect and try it. I know it sounds nuts....but it works 99% of the time. The climate control head will lock out the compressor if it detects too many "cycles" in a given period which otherwise indicates you are low on freon.

You can unplug the a/c clutch wire, and jumper a power and ground to the clutch, and it should engage. You could even have the car running, jump it, and see if it gets cold.

Try battery thing. If it works, it will actually let you run for a few more weeks or months before it kicks out again...depending on how low your freon level is.

Chris,
That battery trick worked when my AC was acting up a while back:)

Jay

I did the battery thing once but did not seem to cure. will do that again. The system would give an 09 error if low freon right?

I wish I could offer more help but I'm pretty unfamiliar about the AC systems on these cars.

Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom