Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A/C trouble shooting

wrc3

Corvette
1976 L-48
Ok don't know very much about A/C systems other than I know mine doesn't work. When I bought the car it didn't work and i was too stupid to ask if the guy knew why not. Anyways with new suspension and headers on I would really like to drive it this summer, but in DC with the humidity i need the A/C.

Anyone have basic check list I can run through or is this a shop only fix?

First thing to check is there enough freon...If it is low the compressor won't turn on...(its a safty measure so you don't burn it out)

Ya I am guessing I don't have freon, but I was kind of hoping to make an R134 conversion as long as I was going to be working on the system. So I guess make the conversion and then hope there are no leaks and the compressor works and see if the R134 holds?

To work on A/C you are going to need a couple of special tools. 1st is a set of A/C gauges. 2nd second is a vacumm pump. Without these you will have trouble getting strated. You can look for a buddy with these or come to Memphis and we can work a deal. Plus if there is any R-12 in still in your system you will need to safely recover it. Or as you are thinking, bolt on a conversion and take it some where to get it charged. The only real risk is that the evaporator unit inside the car or the condenser in front of the radaiator leak. That risk would be somewhat high not having any history. You might take it to a shop today where they could pull a vacumm on the system and check for leaks before you started the conversion.

I am not sure about this just change Freon and go with everthing being cool. I have my doubts. If it works I would guess you will get something less than 100% effectivness. Even if you do that you will still need to pull a vacumm on the system before you add the R134a.
After all that. What is the risk of the JonM suggestion of the Interdynamic One Stop Retrofitting . Almost none. Plus you will find the leaks or bad parts with almost no cost. Pull a vacumm on your system , slam in some R134a plus OIL. See what you get. If you don't like the results, then spring for the big bucks conversion.

WRC, I just did the conversion on my 1976 and I would recommend that if possible don't convert. To make the conversion there is lots of discussion on changing the VIR. I decided to convert and use the VIR eliminator that Corvette Central sells. It is not the easiest thing to install and then I found a leak in the small metal high pressure line, which is almost impossible to find a replacement for I had to go to a junk yard to get one. I have since gotten it all installed but have not had time to get the system pressured with R134 so don't know how good it works but in hind sight if I had to do it over I would just have fixed the R12 system and keep it all orginal.

I just switched my '77 to R-416a. I had R-134a in it, worked well, but the high head pressure was causing the condenser to run hot--then the radiator!

R-414b works well in POA systems, but will not work well in EEVIR or VIR.

Come on summer!
33681_p_1D53B707-C1CD-572D-452C3B2F12EEDD93.jpg

My 71 AC was in bad shape when I bought it. It had been open for years (compressor out of the car). I detailed the steps I took to get it working on my webpage: http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/zwede/71corvette/ac/acmain.htm

I'm running R134a and it cools real well (42F out the vents on a 90F day. Spec is 48F-52F with R12).

zwede said:
My 71 AC was in bad shape when I bought it. It had been open for years (compressor out of the car). I detailed the steps I took to get it working on my webpage: http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/zwede/71corvette/ac/acmain.htm

I'm running R134a and it cools real well (42F out the vents on a 90F day. Spec is 48F-52F with R12).
hey thanks for the info. the breakdown on how you did your A/C is great. totally a huge help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom