Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

a dumb question but........

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
the shifter in my car had been previously switched out to a hurst shifter that looks just like the stock T-Handle shifter. The difference is that instead of lifting up on the t-handle to get the car in reverse you push down on the ball to allow it to slip into reverse. The chrome finish on the ball is all worn out and i'd like to replace it. I know it just unscrews from the handle but I've never removed it.
2 questions:

1. where is the best place to get a replacement ball
2. is it really as easy as just unscrewing it and replacing it or do I have to worry about springs popping out everywhere from inside the handle if i take it off completely.

sorry, I'm sure this is such a simple job many of you are just shaking your heads in amazment that i'd even ask such a question but with my luck I'd uscrew the ball off the handle and parts would come flying out and I'd never know how to put them back so I haven't tried to take the ball off yet.

Thanks!

Barry

just unscrews barry, I think mine came from corvette america. Doesn't have any suprise parts to worry about. Hey how is the paint adventure coming?

thanks qwik! that's what i wanted to know. I've learned that if I don't ask beforehand I ALWAYS end up with unwanted surprises to throw me so I remembered to ask beforehand this time :)

As for the painting, I JUST walked back in from checking on her and she is in the booth finally. YEAH!!! Under the booth lights he found a few more places to nitpick but he's done those areas now and already put on new coats of primer - he sanded thru most of the previous primer he had already sprayed on and when I stopped by he was almost done wetsanding the new primer. He figures on Monday he will start getting the base color down. so............we are getting close now.

67HEAVEN said:
I had the image of a jack-in-the-box after reading this thread. :gap

yep, just what i'm trying to avoid here....... springs doing a Jack-In-The-Box action on me. :D

Come on Barry, I can feel your disappointment and frustration through the printed word....its for all the better and soon you will not even think about the time you waited....just think next week color goes on...come on now smile about it..:D

BARRY!!! The baby is finally in!! Can't wait to see her. What show are you shooting for??? Bring her to the club meeting on the 7th...She'll be ready to take first place in the fathers day show!!!!!!!!!! I have enjoyed reading the exploits of Baby.....Haven't heard how LINDA feels, though...She has to be excited!!

Andy

Collin, I AM smiling about it. I'm thrilled the car is in the booth. He hates to roll cars in until he's ready for them so having it in there is a good sign.

Andy
I've learned to stop shooting for shows anymore, it's pointless. When she is done she will be done and that's that.
Linda and I aren't going to be able to make the meeting on the 7th. It's my mother's birthday so we are taking her for dinner.
Oh yeah, Linda is real excited about Baby getting close also. She went with me today when we went to check on her and found out that the car was in the booth. I miss driving the car and Linda misses riding in her.

BarryK said:
Collin, I AM smiling about it. I'm thrilled the car is in the booth. He hates to roll cars in until he's ready for them so having it in there is a good sign.

Whew! And just when I was starting to worry whether or not she'd be ready for Carlisle....;) .

Hang tough, Barry...I'm almost bettin' there will be tears in your eyes when you see the color back on her.

Hi Dennis
where have you been hiding lately?

yes, Baby will be ready by Carlisle!
i'm hoping to have her back in the next 10 days - 2 weeks.

yep, tears won't surprise me at all. I think I was getting a bit misty eyed yesterday when I finally saw her in the paint booth at long last. ;LOL
ok, maybe not, but once that color starts to get sprayed I'll be the happiest member on this forum! :) I think i'll feel the same as I'm sure Bob did when he finally got to first-fire on 67Heaven - only he had a MUCH longer wait than I did.

ok, qwik said I can safely unscrew my shifter ball without worrying about springs popping out. Now, where is the best place to get a replacement ball for the hurst shifter?

yep, just what i'm trying to avoid here....... springs doing a Jack-In-The-Box action on me. <<<

Barry,

If you ever have the need to remove your steering wheel keep this thought in mind! :W

Barry,

Try Hurst.

Look in the left margin under Shifter Accessories.
Tom

terry

i've ordered a lot from LICS but wasn't sure if they would have Hurst parts or if any ball would work.

anyone know if most shifters are a common size thread?

BarryK said:
thanks Tom. i guess that does make the most sense. i'm brainless at times

I think that with a broken arm you had other things on your mind. :L

Tom

tom

i wish that was the excuse...........but when i first posted the question my arm wasn't broken yet
;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom