Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Few Basic ZR-1 Questions:

B17Crew

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green/Light Beige Interior
I have a few very basic ZR-1 questions:

When the Full Engine Power light is on in the ’90 ZR-1, is it bright enough to be a distraction when driving at night? Does the intensity of the illumination come down when the lights are turned on to compensate for night driving?

One more question regarding the power light... was it in ’91 when the engine Full Power light was moved near the power key?

Thanks in advance!

B17Crew
:w

On the 90 it is on the DIC lights up Full Engine Power, once turned on it stays on the intensity of the illumination does not change you get used to it...and yes 91 it was moved by the key as a small green light has to be turned on each time you start up.

Thanks for the info, Wegone.

Those are some beautiful Corvettes on your website!

B17Crew

Like said, it doesn't dim. It's on the warning panel, so it's as bright as any of those. It's not distracting, though, but it is on the bright side at night.

I think it's cool, though. It uniquely identified the model and year of the car. Much like the exterior does. Only 1990 ZR-1's had that interior and that exterior. :)

You could always turn the power key off at night... ;)

Thanks Aurora40... If I may throw another question your way.

I’ve noticed that some ZR-1s have discoloration on the plenum and valve covers. Would this be the result of the LT5 being cleaned with a caustic cleaner or a result of heat, time, and use?

I know the L98s valve covers are susceptible to some cleaners and was wondering if the Zs components are similarly sensitive.

Thanks for any input you may have.

B17Crew

P.S. Your avitar gives me a good idea of brightness of the light!

Yes discoloration is common if not taken care of or cleaners are used.. The coating is just paint. I wipe mine down with a mild soap and wax often… and thanks for the comment on my web page.

Thanks Wegone, this information has been very helpful to me!

B17Crew

Anytime…are you looking at venturing into the ZR-1 realm? Have you checked out the ZR1 registry site? Lots of great info…

B17Crew said:
P.S. Your avitar gives me a good idea of brightness of the light!
You can also see it in the videos here:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79360

It's the yellow light you'll see pop onto the right side every now and then.

Here's another pict:
cendisp.jpg

I'm not an expert, but I think the discoloration can come from a lot of things but probably mostly time. Oil or coolant or dust/dirt that is there for years will probably discolor it and not be removable. The same thing can happen to rough aluminum and such too.

Mine cleaned up somewhat well with a mild all-purpose cleaner and water, though they are not perfect looking. It is an engine afterall, it has a lot of heat, fluids, and some dirt/grime that it is always exposed to. I suspect one that was treated well but not meticulously cleaned would have a less-than-perfect appearance. Honestly, I think a totally spotless shiny engine is a bit weird. I like it clean but functional looking.

And keep in mind if you plan on doing any mods, you could easily have it refinished at the same time. :)

Wegone said:
Anytime…are you looking at venturing into the ZR-1 realm? Have you checked out the ZR1 registry site? Lots of great info…

I am considering a ZR-1. I’ve always been interested in the Z and have a soft spot for it since it was introduced in 1990. The ZR-1 came out about the same time my older brother introduced me to Corvettes. I have vivid memories of all of the fanfare and ZR-1 spotting from back then. I’ve always felt that it is the finest C4 when it comes to body proportioning. I feel it’s also the best looking engine esthetically that was put into the C4. I just all around love the darn things.

I have a couple of options that I need to take into consideration. The first is I have a flawlessly running, stock LT4 that I’ve taken great care of since 1998. I have a great deal of detailing time invested in it to keep it showroom clean. If I want to immediately move to a nice ’90-’93 ZR-1, I will have to unload my LT4. Only thing is, I love my LT4 and do not want to let it go, too fine of a Corvette to release from my possession.

The second option I have is to gather as much info and look at as many Zs in the coming year to learn the car as best I can. This will give me more time to save up and not have to unload my LT4. I was considering a ’95-’96 vert for a while, but I can’t stop thinking of what it would be like to open the clamshell hood and see a sparkling LT5 sitting there.

I’ve never driven one, so I am completely unfamiliar with how they sound/feel while driving. I won’t buy over the internet because I’m the kinda of guy who will have to see it in person before plunking down my money. The other thing is that ZR-1s are not too common in the for sale section, so this limits my exposure to Zs. I am hoping that McDormans (not far from me) starts to get some in on trade this spring/summer so I can start comparing conditioning and pricing.

I’ve been checking out the ZR1 registry regularly, I’ve seen some very nice cars listed there. I will be looking for a unmolested, stock Z with documentation so I know I will have to pay the price.

Sorry for the long-winded response!

B17Crew

Aurora40 said:
You can also see it in the videos here:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79360

Here's another pict:
cendisp.jpg

:)

Aurora40,

Thanks for posting the photo! I’ve never had the opportunity to see a ZR-1 cluster with the lights on. There is a distinct difference between the warning lights and the power light. The power light is more subdued compared to the other lights. That’s what I was hoping.

Those videos were awesome! I see what you mean about the power light. I’ve never been behind the wheel of a Z that has been running, your vid gives me an idea of how the light looks, thanks.

The sound was great even on my computer speaker. It’s a 180 from what my LT4 sounds like. The best way I can describe it compared to my LT4 is that the Zs power sounds as if it spools up and is more refined where as my LT4 seems to rumble as it revs toward redline. Again, I’m going by my computers speaker.

I didn’t know until recently that the Zs plenum and valve covers are painted. If I came across a Z that needed cosmetic TLC, a repaint would be an option. Don’t know how I feel about getting a Z that needs cosmetic work right away. I’d lean towards finding one in good condition when it comes to the engine bay. Then again, there might be one heck of a deal out there some day on a Z with a discolored engine.

Thanks for all of the images, this is great stuff, I appreciate it.

B17Crew

B17Crew said:
The sound was great even on my computer speaker. It’s a 180 from what my LT4 sounds like. The best way I can describe it compared to my LT4 is that the Zs power sounds as if it spools up and is more refined where as my LT4 seems to rumble as it revs toward redline. Again, I’m going by my computers speaker.

I'm sure I'll end up changing the exhaust because it's more power. But I also really like how it sounds stock. When I had my L98, I'd seen ZR-1's only a couple of times driving. I always thought they had a different, more sophisticated sound. Not as musclecar, more of a mechanical sound. I also like the way the stock square tips look.

I have other videos. I've posted a few, though they don't seem to get many comments. :confused

Some various stuff just messing around a bit when I first had the car:

http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/clips

And at the track:

http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/gmhtp/clips/

Thanks for posting the links, I really enjoyed them. I gotta say the 5 spokes look great on the your ’90. I agree, the ZR-1 sounds sophisticated when it’s revving up, I keep on thinking it sounds as if it’s spooling up.

Your red on red combo looks pretty cool, I’ve noticed that the majority of the ’90s that I see for sale are Bright Red. The second most color that I see out there is Black.

It’s rare that I see a ZR-1 on the road, I would think that I would see more of them as I live in a moderate size city, Zs are few and far between. I can tell you the last two times I saw ZR-1s on the road. July 4th, two years ago, I was out for a walk and spotted an older gentleman sitting at a red light in a Black ’90. This was in Dublin, OH... right down the road from the Murfield Golf course. Had a perfect view of it as he sat at the light waiting for the light to change.

Second sighting was this past fall. Red ’90 was a few cars ahead of me on a highway cloverleaf entrance. He disappeared from sight in a matter of seconds. I was in my commuter car so it was a lost cause trying to get a look at the thing.

B17Crew

if the light is too bright for you, you can alway get a DIC cover and cut down on the light

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
if the light is too bright for you, you can alway get a DIC cover and cut down on the light

That’s a good suggestion, I just saw those in either Ecklers or Mid Americas catalog. From the photo that Aurora posted of his lights, it looks like it would be ok. I thought it was pretty intense like a service engine soon light, but it looks less pronounced than that.

B17Crew

It's not too bright, but then again my car isn't out that often at night and I have the DIC cover. I think it blends in really well with the other light that the car emits at night from under the rear view mirror

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
It's not too bright, but then again my car isn't out that often at night and I have the DIC cover. I think it blends in really well with the other light that the car emits at night from under the rear view mirror

Thanks for the info, Kevin. Now that I think about it, I seem to do most of my Corvette driving in daylight as well.

I’m pretty excited about starting to look at ZR-1s. Not more than 40 days I think until spring. I am hoping to see some roll in through McDorman’s this spring and summer so I can get a good look at what’s out there. There are simply not that many available in my area it seems. :cry

B17Crew

Thanks Kevin, I check the for sale section almost every day.

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom