Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A few pages on my 1968 Safari Yellow convert, comments welcome.

hand_coder

All:

I just finished updating my "Corvette Story" web site with a few pages on my new (to me at least) 1968 Safari Yellow convertible.

Take a look at The Corvette Story: 1968 Corvette Owning a Corvette after wanting one for so many years has been an amazing experience that I'll be covering on the site.

Comments, criticisms etc. are all welcome!

Reply to Paul Oollack on his 68 story.

Paul, I wanted to correct a few items on your nice article. Base 327 68 vettes had painted valve covers. Yes, 68 & 69 vettes had the fourth fender vent painted black to imitate being real vents. 68s With shoulder harnesses ( standard on coupes ) also have a double shoulder belt pocket on the rear seat bulkhead. The pockets were needed because the belt buckel belts did not retract. 68's did not have red lettering on the shift pattern plate. Buy the way, I have had my 68 coupe for 38+ years and because they do not have the horsepower ratings on the center consol, I could lie about my 350 HP to the insurance company. I paid $500 a year for insurance in the fall of 1974 because it was a vette.That was a lot of money back then for car insurance. 350 HP was considered high horse power and more money! 68 & 69's did not have the " built in mud flap " fender flares. They started in 1970 model. 68 Coupes have rear interior quarter panel lights . They cheapened them for 69 and only have the rear 68 conv. type light. Gm wanted to keep the sting ray name with 63-67's but everyone was still calling the 68's stingrays so they added the fender stingray in 1969. By the way,all the nubee auto writers now a day's, try to say that the 68 convertibles were more popular than the coupes, this is not true. They were suppose to come out with the 68 in 1967 and have a one piece roof. It flexed too much and they had to redesign the roof to have the " T-Bar ". The first production coupes came out in december 68. A lot of people changed their order to a conv. because of the delay and wanting the new car sooner. Only one third of 68's are coupes because of this. Also that is why there are only two color, conv. 68 promotional models and no coupe model. Again I enjoyed your article and look forward to reading more about it in the future. To e-mail me, please do at loupalfy@aol.com.

Paul, I wanted to correct a few items on your nice article.

Base 327 68 vettes had painted valve covers.
I took that info from "Collectors Originality Guide Corvette 1968 - 1982", sold by the NCRS. Page 21 states: "But here is the one exception: for the 1968 327/350, Chevrolet took the base engine's stamped covers and had them flash chromed". I should have specified that this only applies to the 327 / 350 hp engine, which I've corrected.

Yes, 68 & 69 vettes had the fourth fender vent painted black to imitate being real vents.

Interesting. My statement was based on input from some fairly knowledgeable people, or at least I thought they were. The photos I have are inconclusive, with about half having the black paint. This could be due to a respray in which the painter may not have gone to the trouble. Or maybe it's a case where the factory sometimes did it this way and then might do it another way? I couldn't see anything conclusive in the '68 brochure and I don't have the '69 brochure handy to check. From what I can tell, the NCRS material doesn't say one way or another?

68s With shoulder harnesses ( standard on coupes ) also have a double shoulder belt pocket on the rear seat bulkhead. The pockets were needed because the belt buckel belts did not retract. 68's did not have red lettering on the shift pattern plate.
I agree about the red lettering on shift numbers on the console. Does this mean I have a repo part?

Buy the way, I have had my 68 coupe for 38+ years and because they do not have the horsepower ratings on the center consol, I could lie about my 350 HP to the insurance company. I paid $500 a year for insurance in the fall of 1974 because it was a vette.That was a lot of money back then for car insurance. 350 HP was considered high horse power and more money!
Lying to an insurance company - definitely the way to go! Did it myself more than once. It amazes me that I only pay $400 for full coverage today and the same car would have cost me close to $750 / year in say 1970. Of course then I was (justifiably) a much higher risk with a DMV record that would (should?) shame just about anybody. Prices for everything, including the cost of the 1968 Corvette, are much higher today. Go figure.

68 & 69's did not have the " built in mud flap " fender flares. They started in 1970 model.
True, and corrected. Not sure how I made the big blunder.

68 Coupes have rear interior quarter panel lights . They cheapened them for 69 and only have the rear 68 conv. type light. Gm wanted to keep the sting ray name with 63-67's but everyone was still calling the 68's stingrays so they added the fender stingray in 1969. By the way,all the nubee auto writers now a day's, try to say that the 68 convertibles were more popular than the coupes, this is not true. They were suppose to come out with the 68 in 1967 and have a one piece roof. It flexed too much and they had to redesign the roof to have the " T-Bar ". The first production coupes came out in december 68. A lot of people changed their order to a conv. because of the delay and wanting the new car sooner. Only one third of 68's are coupes because of this.
Interesting about the quantities. I did not know that until December '68 only the convertible was available. I also have a problem with assuming that something was more popular based on quantities. Sometimes they don't produce what people want but produce based on production situations, business circumstances (IOW more money for them) and any number of other reasons. And some of the reason behind the numbers can be found in the $343 lower price for the convert.

Also that is why there are only two color, conv. 68 promotional models and no coupe model.
Also interesting. Was one of those two colors Safari Yellow? If so, I want one! I wonder where I could find it?

Again I enjoyed your article and look forward to reading more about it in the future. To e-mail me, please do at loupalfy@aol.com.
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to help me make "The Corvette Story" more accurate. It is appreciated!

Reply to Hand-coder.

Yes, one of the two promo colors is a safari yellow. The other is red. There are two promo venders in the wonderful corvette magazine VETTE VUES MAGAZINE that no one knows about. I have been a subscriber since 1975. I only found one when I checked for you. Mr. Fury Miniture Motors (952) 432-4318. After getting my vette when it was 4 years old and only 22,000 miles on it, I noticed all of the small interior changes on them, and I tried to document them. I had this published in a Vette Vues article,but since moving , it is buried some where. My coupe is around number 14,800 and is one of the first to have the driver outside mirror in the second, standard position. Earlier ones, had the mirror about 4" from the windshield pillar. It had to block your vision there. Early 68's had a cast blank spot for the wiper o'ride red filter on the gauge bezel. The manual controls under the steering column were at first the round switch and then the two vacuum switches to the right of it. Mine has the original interior door handle,that I love. The car magazines complained so chevy added the rubber handle that I do not care for. The magazines complained about no glove box, so they gave the 69's the dumb map pouch on the passenger dash. I think they are ugly dust collectors and look awful with something actually in them. Buy the way,For anyone with a 68, I highly recommend getting the 69 black repro steering wheel. Everything on the 68 was a carry over of the 67. The steering wheel is one inch larger in diameter and kills your right leg getting into the car. I changed mine right away,witha used one. Paul, I was in maintenance in the original Modern Tool & Die company plant in Parma ,Ohio for 34 years . MTD is the world's largest maker of lawn mowers. They made our plant all automotive parts and then sold it to Shiloh Corp. and they closed it after 7 years. We made all the 63-82 metal radiator supports, 68 - 78 ? front bumper outer ( dog leg braces ). We also made the two metal bird cage pieces behind the 68-82 seats. We made the C-4 windshield pillars , under dash braces, and the complete aluminum rear bumper assembly, and the square tubing braces from the hood locks on the w/s pillars down to the frame. All the while I worked there, they never made a 68 radiator support, which is almost identical to a 67. 68's did not cool properly because of this and they had to re-design them for more air flow in 69. Buy the way,you may not know that 68's have a one year front wheel spindle because it was lowered from the 63-67's but has the 67 smaller inner wheel bearing,that changed to a larger one in 69. Also only 68 327's have the larger 350 crank shaft bearings on them. Lou.

Yes, one of the two promo colors is a safari yellow. The other is red. There are two promo venders in the wonderful corvette magazine VETTE VUES MAGAZINE that no one knows about. I have been a subscriber since 1975. I only found one when I checked for you. Mr. Fury Miniture Motors (952) 432-4318. After getting my vette when it was 4 years old and only 22,000 miles on it, I noticed all of the small interior changes on them, and I tried to document them. I had this published in a Vette Vues article,but since moving , it is buried some where. My coupe is around number 14,800 and is one of the first to have the driver outside mirror in the second, standard position. Earlier ones, had the mirror about 4" from the windshield pillar. It had to block your vision there. Early 68's had a cast blank spot for the wiper o'ride red filter on the gauge bezel. The manual controls under the steering column were at first the round switch and then the two vacuum switches to the right of it. Mine has the original interior door handle,that I love. The car magazines complained so chevy added the rubber handle that I do not care for. The magazines complained about no glove box, so they gave the 69's the dumb map pouch on the passenger dash. I think they are ugly dust collectors and look awful with something actually in them. Buy the way,For anyone with a 68, I highly recommend getting the 69 black repro steering wheel. Everything on the 68 was a carry over of the 67. The steering wheel is one inch larger in diameter and kills your right leg getting into the car. I changed mine right away,witha used one. Paul, I was in maintenance in the original Modern Tool & Die company plant in Parma ,Ohio for 34 years . MTD is the world's largest maker of lawn mowers. They made our plant all automotive parts and then sold it to Shiloh Corp. and they closed it after 7 years. We made all the 63-82 metal radiator supports, 68 - 78 ? front bumper outer ( dog leg braces ). We also made the two metal bird cage pieces behind the 68-82 seats. We made the C-4 windshield pillars , under dash braces, and the complete aluminum rear bumper assembly, and the square tubing braces from the hood locks on the w/s pillars down to the frame. All the while I worked there, they never made a 68 radiator support, which is almost identical to a 67. 68's did not cool properly because of this and they had to re-design them for more air flow in 69. Buy the way,you may not know that 68's have a one year front wheel spindle because it was lowered from the 63-67's but has the 67 smaller inner wheel bearing,that changed to a larger one in 69. Also only 68 327's have the larger 350 crank shaft bearings on them. Lou.

I was aware of the repositioning of the mirror and the different crank on the 327. I did not know about the different rear wheel spindle or the interior door handle, I'll have to look into that. My own '68 was made on around the last few days of '68 production. I have the UA6 alarm option, but my key inlet looks fairly different from others that I've seen, I figure someone replaced it sometime in it's life. Speaking of a life, my friends seem to think I need to get one. I was aware of some differences in the front radiator support that affected the cooling but I'm not sure of the details, something else I'll have to look into. My 1968 has two rectangular opening in the body under the front bumper that I've been told was a running change at some point to improve cooling.

You're right about the steering wheel, I tried to get into an originally equipped '68 and it was not pleasant. I do have the correct and original steering wheel but probably won't install it. The PO in my case installed a "Grant" steering wheel, much smaller, works OK but looks like hell. I'll likely take your suggestion and install a later 15" wheel as a good compromise.

Thanks also for the source of the model I'll call tomorrow and see what the story is.

Isn't being anal about our Corvettes fun?

No Surrender,

paul

Paul-

I don't believe the rear spindles are any different, only the front. The very first '68s had no openings in the front lower valance for air flow and experienced overheating as a result. There is a bulletin around somewhere that instructs dealers on how to cut the openings in these cars. I'd be curious to learn of differences in the rad support that would have affected cooling- was the size of opening increased?

Regarding the fourth gill vent, I believe all '68s were painted semi gloss black with the exception of black cars which were gloss black. This is specifically mentioned in the 3rd edition of the NCRS guide, the newest I have.

Reply to Vettehead Mikey and Paul.

In my post above I said only the front wheel spindle were different. The 68 radiator supports are clones of the 63-67's. The opening is small. GM messed up with them. 63-67 Vettes have a huge front grille and air goes straight into them. 68's have the same size support and opening but 68's breathe through the two lower rectangular openings by the air the chin spoiler rams up into the openings. The headlight shields block the air going into the "grilles" and if you have a front license plate, no air goes into the center grille area either ! The 69 up radiator supports are a huge oval with only about 3" of metal all around them. 68's also have the 63-67 radiator bottom mounting system and so 68 frames are different in the front because the front frame horn sticks out further to hold the radiator brackets. 68 Frames also are weaker in the back by the rear wheel "kick-up". GM added two small inboard "C' channel braces to strengthen them, in 69. I just had my coupe painted and while I restored It, I found out about a major 68 change that I cannot believe after having mine for 38+ years, I have never heard about. GM changed the windshield header bar,the chrome header ends and the stainless steel top piece. Also the windshield reveal molding is more curved at the ends than late 68-up cars. I had a heck of a time trying to fit the 69-76 chrome ends to my car. The top stainless header trim on 68's is solid. 69 Up cars have four screw holes in them that 68's do not have. I had to have my original ss W/S reveal molding piece straightened and polished to put back on the car. Also no one is making the correct 68 only angled antenna spacer. After trying three from the best venders, I gave up. They are all too tall and angle the antenna forward insted of straight up.

4th Gill

The 4th Gill is satin or semi gloss black........the Safari Yellow Vette below is a 28,000 mile car #13092.......:D

DSfff.jpg

I've deleted the part about the fourth vent being painted black; from what I can now gather it has at least some claim to correctness.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply, it is appreciated!

~paul

The 4th Gill is satin or semi gloss black........the Safari Yellow Vette below is a 28,000 mile car #13092.......:D

DSfff.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom