Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A G'Day & Perhaps some advice all in one!

QCaz

G'day to everyone here!! I've been reading your boards on and off for.. ever!! (well, about 2 years now) but have only just joined as my dream of being one of you 'lucky buggers' is (hopefully) about to come true!

As you may have guessed I'm from Australia, Far North Queensland to be exact. I'm just a young'un with many years of happy ownership ahead of me. I'm also about to break many peoples hearts when I say that I live on a dirt road and will be driving my vette over it once a week to reach the highway where I can cruze.. and YES I am aware I'm breaking the 10 commandments by doing this.. but its the only way I'll get to live the dream!!

Enough about me - more about the car!
I'm flying 2000kms tomorrow to have a final look over her and bring her home. I have a few little questions concerning the "originality" that the bloke is claiming.
None of these matters will prevent my purchase, unless it is a fake Vette in which case I'll most likely cry!! its just an interesting thing if it is all as original as he claims. (and possibly worth more on re-sale once I do her up.. if I can ever part with her!!)

it is: a 76 Stingray L48 auto, just shipped from the states - does not even have Aussie compliance yet! (Pics after purchase)

My questions are: 1. The guy has (I hope) quoted me a slightly wrong VIN & engine number - he's an old guy so I"m hoping he read it wrong!!
what VIN I've been told is: 1Z37L65442639 - I'm pretty sure the 5 is an S (for where it was built) and the engine number I was told is: 442639V0709GKX - Again I"m pretty sure the G SHOULD be a C.
He has a pretty big story about how he got the car, why he doesnt want it and why it hasnt been fitted with an Aussie compliance plate yet and why its so cheep (about $10,000 less than what you'd expect here in Oz for such a car) and I REALLY like to beleive him.. but I thought I'd run it by you guys to see if anyone had heard of such a scam with easily mistaken VIN & Engine numbers..??

2. Anyone able to clue me in on the meaning of the V0709? in the engine number - I"ve looked all through the tech & Specks pages but couldnt find anything, maybe I"m just overlooking someting obvious??

3. Colour codes: The car is that metallic dark green colour with an all green interior - apparently custom from the factory not aftermarket.
Again, I"ve searched the Tech & Specks page with no luck. the RPO #322 (BG/L) sounds like it is what the interior is - but it was N/A for that year.. does that mean not available as in they diddnt make any or not available as in they dont know how many were made?
Also the RPO#642 (BU/L) could possibly be it.. exept the tech page doesnt tell you what BU stands for.. anyone know??

I havnt seen the plate with all the colour stamps on it yet and my cousin that did the preliminary 'yes the car exists and yes it runs and is roadworthy' checks doesnt know anything about vettes and forgot to look at the plate for me :-( I guess I'll find out soon enough!!

Apparently its from a deceased estate in California.. wonder if anyone might know the car? that would be incredible is one of you guys did!!

Anyway - sorry about the long first post (and the many questions) however, I dont feel like a newbie for the many many hours I"ve been reading these posts and looking over all the info available...

HI-YA Mate ! Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your questions, but I can tell you that you've come to the right place for the answers. Someone will jump in and give you some answers. Good luck with the 76! I hope that you get many, many fun years of driving pleasure out of her.
Andy

Most likely the seller has misread the VIN and/or engine stamp pad. It's easy enough to do so in poor light. Verify all the numbers yourself however.

The engine stamp pad will have two separate bits of info. The 442639V0709GKX is actually 442639(space)V0709GKX with 442639 being the VIN derivative stamped at the vehicle assembly plant, and the V0709GKX being stamped at the engine assembly facility. The two stamp are different in size, with the VIN derivative being a smaller font.

The V0709GKX (hopefully it's actually CKX) decodes as

V= Flint Michigan engine assembly plant. Flint made all the SBC's for Corvettes

0709= July 9th assembly date (don't forget that our friends in the the US writes their dates 'backwards' as compared to the rest of the world)

CKX= engine machine code for 350 cu in 180hp for a '76 Corvette with auto tranmission.

Sounds like you might have the original engine in the car.Post a picture if you'd like further comments.

With respect to the interior/exterior colours, I've looked at the webpage here Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C3 | 1976 | 1976 Corvette Production and Performance - Corvette Action Center and think that this is the source of your confusion. There seems to be some info missing and perhaps the format that it's presented in makes it hard to follow. In any case, it was possible to get any interior colour with any exterior colour for a given year, however GM did provide some standard combination recommendations. These could be easily overridden if a buyer was determined.

Check the trim tag and let us know what you find.

Good luck!

3. Colour codes: The car is that metallic dark green colour with an all green interior - apparently custom from the factory not aftermarket....

The Corvette Black Book lists trim code #322 as blue green leather for 76. It does not say how many cars got the blue green.

BU is the abbreviation for buckskin (tan) also availabe in 76.

Either color interior could have been combined with the green exterior paint.

I agree with Vettehead MIkey; the numbers appear to match.

:)

Congrats on your soon to be purchase. Please post pics once you get it. While I don't agree with off-roading your vette :) I would suggest getting some of the protective film (stonegard or clearbra) to put on the lower portions of the body and near the fenders to save it from rock chips.

Thanks for all your info guys!!

I'd like to add that MY NEW CORVETTE is absolutly FANTASTIC :upthumbs in every way shape and form.. well, almost!! :cool

I bought her and drove her home with only some small hiccups!!

Everything checked out with regards to numbers.. except for a very odd replacement VIN number plate from California state.. it has been pop riveted into the drivers side door jam, and it also has a typo on it.. the S is a 5 on the replacement VIN and is definitly an S on the engine.
It seems there was a fire in the engine bay at some distant point in the past as there is melted looking bits under the windsreen on the drivers side, and the plastic cut out where the VIN would normally sit looks a little warped. It also looks like the windscreen and bonnet has been replaced.

Is there any way I can find out a bit more about my car's history?? as it came from a deceased estate over there I dont think the previous owner can help too much!! :eyerole

Anyway, thanks HEAPS!!
I LOVE MY CAR!!!:D:D:D

Oh, and I'll have some pics up in a day or two

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom