Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A new GM with the same old arrogance

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
Everything was actually already set: German Chancellor Angela Merkel was supposed to be ready to announce Opel's sale to its partner of choice, Magna, on the grand stage of the Frankfurt Motor Show.

But Frankfurt now has to manage without this great sensation, since General Motors, still Opel's parent company, wants to hold onto the automaker, if possible. The "new General Motors" had hardly retreated from the abyss before the old arrogance returned: A portion of the GM management in Detroit is demanding that Opel/Vauxhall not be sold so that the company can remain a true global player.

At the same time, GM has long shown that it no longer knows what to do with Opel. The venerable brand has long been be at risk of being ground up between low-priced Chevrolet and its Saab- and Cadillac-style premium fantasies that have been both useless and unsuccessful to the same degree.

Like most of the U.S. auto industry, the people at GM apparently aren't ready to ask themselves some basic questions: How can it be that the Detroit 3's products can't find a respectable market outside the United States?

Everywhere in the world, vehicles "made in USA" are considered to have poor quality, be technologically backwards and conceptually all wrong. Although GM's quality is now better than its reputation, the fact that even South Korea builds better cars should lead to a change in its thinking.

Instead, GM bought Daewoo. "We are really good at buying brands, sucking them dry, and letting them fall," a GM executive told me years ago with disarming openness.

At first glance, it absolutely makes sense for the new GM to keep Opel so that it can market the vehicles it develops worldwide: That's because there are fewer and fewer customers for cars built in the United States, even in the domestic market.

Still, that is the wrong path. Salvation cannot come from outside. GM has to reform itself under its own power. The United States has to become a country where cars are built for the whole world, not just for a dwindling rural population in the Midwest.

Former President George Bush is supposed to have said that it didn't matter to him whether his country made computer chips or potato chips, just so it had something to sell to the world. What does the United States have to offer the world? Cars aren't part of that any more. There are no longer any at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Article

Interesting thoughts there... I saw the new GM commercial the other night where the new president (who sounds like a country bumpkin', not that it mattters, but when you are trying to sway japanese car buyers your way, you may want to keep that accent under wraps) is walking around trying to convince the general populas that GM is back. It reminded me of the Chrysler commercials, with Lee Iacocca, back in the early '80's... "if you can find a better car buy it." This ploy actually worked and sales went up. (except Lee did it with style, I liked him) However, the line the GM president used was pretty lame. I can't even remember what it is as I type this post.

CG

Wow, and I just read an article on the Wall Street Journal about GM's sale of Opel. GM's CEO was quoted as saying:

"We want to get this done," Mr. Henderson said. He said the remaining issues to be resolved are "not terribly complicated.''

Article

:eyerole Jason

It was a return policy, I think 60 days. If the products are really that good (and they are) why go this route with your advertizing? Just pay off some of the buff mags and Consumer Reports and folks will start to head their way. JMHO.

Fred

Being from the Detroit area and the fact that my company is a supplier to the auto industry, this is getting really old. So many people are jumping on the bandwagon and bashing the "Big Three." We are all working harder for less money and producing a better product than ever. How many 30 year old Nissans or Toyota's do you see on the road? Why are the Japanese manufacturers now making full size trucks and Suv's? Yes we all underestimated the competition, but the "Big Three" were the backbone of the U.S. economy for many decades. And we are still on the cutting edge of new technology. Don't give up on us so quickly.

Being from the Detroit area and the fact that my company is a supplier to the auto industry, this is getting really old. So many people are jumping on the bandwagon and bashing the "Big Three." We are all working harder for less money and producing a better product than ever. How many 30 year old Nissans or Toyota's do you see on the road? Why are the Japanese manufacturers now making full size trucks and Suv's? Yes we all underestimated the competition, but the "Big Three" were the backbone of the U.S. economy for many decades. And we are still on the cutting edge of new technology. Don't give up on us so quickly.

The Big Three "were" the backbone of the US economy and they threw it all away buy sitting on their a$$ and giving it away. Their outdated business models did not help. I have no sympathy or empathy for them. However, I do for you and other suppliers who were affected by their short sightedness.

On a bigger scale... look at the "Rust Belt", those towns have been disintegrating for years now. Who is going to help them? Nobody. There is a lot of things that need attention in this country, not just the car industry.

CG

It is truly a shame where this has all gone.
My wife is looking for a "nicer" car. We looked at Cadillac - way over priced. One used one (about 2yrs old) when started spit out some grey ash and white smoke - head gasket???
It was like going to a museum. At two Cadillac agencies it was like they wanted to keep the car in the showroom. They hardly offered any discount. So bye bye. :w
I think that the largest fault lies at the doorstep of the ad agencies for poor sales. The ads are either misplaced or just dont convey any excitement/assurance. GM always had labor issues/costs and poor management yet with the older ads they sold tons of (sometimes) bad cars. They were able to convince the public that there was something there. Now with the company govt run and on the ropes, you feel uneasy.;shrug
Their new return policy is a last hurrah. Who will go through all that.
They keep quiet that you can get back $500 instead.
So we are still looking - BMW?? Mercedes?? - trouble $$$ waiting to happen.:duh
The new Lincoln looks nice. As a matter of fact most fords look good.
-life is tough ...and expensive.

You know it's sad about the Big 3 folks this is America,in case you havent checked.I will ALWAYS buy an american car-no matter what!Bash GM?your driving a vette?;shrugTHe BIG crooks are on wall street!:madA lot of good peoples live hang in the balance of the big 3.It will be a sad day when Japan rules the U.S. car market,they almost do now!WE bomb their country so now we kiss their azz!Buy a jap car-profits go to japan,soon we will have China made tires!put them on your vette-they are better i was told!For good or ill I'm an American and I'll get off my soap box now!

It is truly a shame where this has all gone.
My wife is looking for a "nicer" car. We looked at Cadillac - way over priced. One used one (about 2yrs old) when started spit out some grey ash and white smoke - head gasket???
It was like going to a museum. At two Cadillac agencies it was like they wanted to keep the car in the showroom. They hardly offered any discount. So bye bye. :w
I think that the largest fault lies at the doorstep of the ad agencies for poor sales. The ads are either misplaced or just dont convey any excitement/assurance. GM always had labor issues/costs and poor management yet with the older ads they sold tons of (sometimes) bad cars. They were able to convince the public that there was something there. Now with the company govt run and on the ropes, you feel uneasy.;shrug
Their new return policy is a last hurrah. Who will go through all that.
They keep quiet that you can get back $500 instead.
So we are still looking - BMW?? Mercedes?? - trouble $$$ waiting to happen.:duh
The new Lincoln looks nice. As a matter of fact most fords look good.
-life is tough ...and expensive.

OK lets look at prices.
Lexus LS base price $65.000
Cadillac STS $46,800
BMW 550i $60,407
Mercedes E550 $56,300
Lincoln MKS $40,870
Now how can you say that American cars are overpriced?
If you want to compare quality and maintenance costs American cars win again.
Sure has become popular to bash American cars.

I am on Vette #6; #7 went back

It's been popular to bash US cars for a long time, just like it used to be popular to laugh at the Japanese tin-cans. I've been a GM guy for a long time, until they screwed me.... twice: Corvette, then Suburban.

The NIH (not invented here) phrase came from Detroit; wonder why? They stopped listening to their customers and rode their own BS decades ago. Now it has come home. It will come home to BMW, too, with their $60000+ throw-aways that no one can fix, reflected in their resale values. My last one is in the garage, not MY choice.

We looked at Fords for the first time ever, mostly because they did NOT take our tax dollar bailout. Quite nice new cars, available now! An unpleasant surprise, to this try-to-buy-American-made, former union member: the Fusion Hybrid is only 25% North American made! Loyalty goes two ways and Detroit left the scene long before I did. Take your Korean Pontiacs and Chinese or Japanese Chevys elsewhere.

I know where the new GM HQ is because I have seen it, in HUGE letters, in Pudong; sister city of Shanghai. They scream: Shanghai General Motors.

My new car will be a hybrid: a 1955 F100 that I am building, on a C4 suspension, with Edelbrock spread bore feeding the 383 SBC, to a 700R4 and C4 Dana 36 3.07 rear.

So sorry about the jobs and erosion of pay/bennies. Got that T-shirt when everyone wanted to fly for nothing and mine decreased 40%+.

We buy cheap; we get cheap, which turns out to be very costly. I learned that from my Dad long ago, neither of us having an MBA or PhD in Economics.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom