Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A new old 1992 coupe

eleebid

Corvette
1992 silver
Hi all,
I just bought a '92 with 25.5k miles from a dear sweet older woman. It has been repainted silver, originally black (other people like to run in to her).
It has been neglegted mechanically.The engine compartment is in need of major detailing.
When I drive it till it gets warm I can smell cooking oil. But It doesn't drip on the drive way.Could it be the rear seal leaking????
The oil was changed and new goodyears were put on recently. She was still running the original factory tires 12 years later.
I need to know what the normal operating temps are. I can go through looking at the numbers but I don't know if I am running hot, or not. Oil runs about 190. Coolant around 210. Amp 14.4. Anybody know a good mechanic in Los Angeles to do the major repairs?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Congrats on the new purchase. The temperatures above are those during stop and go type traffic? Other then that they sound good to me.

Justin

You might have a leak from one of the valve covers and it is dripping down on the hot exhaust manifold. Some 92 LT1 motors had problems with leaks from the front cover or front seal but that would show as drips on the ground.

As far as temps, they sound about right (oil is fine) but if the coolant temp is constant at 210, that is a bit too high. My 92 will run between 197 and 205 most of the time. On really hot days when I'm stuck in traffic, the temps will seldom go above 220 but when it does, the secondary fan turns on and the temps drop rapidly. Turning on the A/C automatically turns on the second fan and it remains on as long as the A/C is running. You should check the front of the radiator for debris. This is pretty common on C4's and you will be suprised to see what sort of junk can collect there. Use a garden hose to flush out the junk by directing a stream of water from the back side of the radiator and pushing the junk out forward. Also check the front of the A/C condensor for any debris.

14.4 volts at start-up is about right. I would check the overall condition of the system anyway. The factory battery in my 92 vert lasted 11 years and it never really died; I just replaced it as a maintenance item before I drove across country for the 50th Anniversary Caravan to Bowling Green last year.

It would be a good idea to have the cooling system flushed and a new 50-50 mix of coolant (green) and distilled water installed. You could go to a 180 degree thermostat to help with the temps a bit. Also have the tranny serviced at a reputable shop and have the fluid flushed and a new filter installed. You should also have the brake fluid flushed and use a good DOT3 or DOT4 fluid. Change the differential fluid and add a bottle of the GM posi additive. BTW, you did use Mobil-1 for the oil change, right?? The factory requires a synthetic oil to be used and 5W-30 Mobil-1 was the factory fill.

DO NOT use a pressure washer to clean the motor!! The Opti-Spark distributor, located directly below the water pump does not like water and will fail if it gets wet. This is a costly part and can run upwards of $500-600 to have replaced :eek I use a 50-50 mix of Simple Green and water and some old brushes and rags to clean the grease off. Non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner in the big spray cans work well too.

The oil smell might also be the intake manifold is leaking oil on to the exhaust pipes

It depends what T-stat you have if you have a 195 it may not open until 200 or more. My 160 I have doesnt open until about 168 or 169. The coolant temp will rise until it hits that and then it if I am on the road will stay right there. I would get the cooling system flushed. I would do it every spring if it was my vette, or every other depending on how much you drive it.

Justin

My oil temp reads the same as my coolant temp after 20 min. of driving.

I had a slight leak fromt he back of the intake manifold that would smell. Fixed it by just retorqueing the intake manifold bolts. A year later it did the same thing and I retorqued to fix again. Originally some of the bolts were REAL loose, like 5 ft lbs.

Get it warm and pull into a windless area (garage), pop the hood and use a flashlight, you should be able to locate smoke/leak.

If you're looking for a good mechanic in or near Los Angeles, I know of two. One is a huge Corvette Shop in Bellflower called J&D Corvettes and the other is The Fiberglass Body (corvette shop). J&D is huge, but they are generally much more expensive. You can look up either on Yahoo. The Fiberglass Body is run by a great guy who knows his stuff named Scott. Tell him the guy with the purple Corvette sent you.

Welcome eleebid! :upthumbs

toomuchtorque said:
... the guy with the purple Corvette.
Hmmm... Have we met, Soheyl? If not, I wonder why we've never crossed paths; I'm practically a fixture at Scott's in that I visit almost every day. I had my Vette in Will's shop next door - that's where I did all my heavy work last year. I'll be on the lookout for "the purple Corvette." :w

Check out the radiator for stuff and junk like plastic bags, leaves, bugs, etc., - make sure the air flow through the radiator is free and clear of junk. Have the system flushed and fresh coolant installed - the nice lady probably never had it changed. Check out intake front and rear seals for leaks - this is fairly common on the 92, especially if it has never been touched before.

When it comes to cleaning the engine bay, don't use the water hose or you're fry the OptiSpark. Cleaning a neglected engine bay takes a lot of time and patience and not a lot of water/cleaner. Keep a blower or air compressor handy to blow off excess water often - gotta keep that OptiSpark dry.

Congratulations on your purchase. The 92 is a wonderful car and should be a lot of fun to drive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom