Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! A Newbie in need of suggestions

Since you added injector cleaner, and the engine started behaving like you described, I would test the injectors.
If you have a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) you can do a simple test.
Cold engine, open the hood, remove the connector to the first injector (press the metal clip and pull the connector).
Now, set the DVM at 2K or 200 ohm and put the leads on the injector and write down what you get.
Then you put the connector back on and proceed with the other ones, so you won´t mix up the connectors and injectors.
Do so with all 8.
They should show values between 12 and 17, but they can´t differ more than 0.3-0.5 ohm from each other.
If there is one that is like under 10 ohm, you found a very possible cause to the erratic idle and gas in the oil smell.
You can perform this on a warm engine as well.
Check this one out in case of injector failure, you could call him the king of injectors.
Fuel Injector Connection
Or look on the left side of this page for SouthBay Fuel Injectors, same products.
I agree w/the above....John at FIC injectors ..is a super guy to deal with:thumb

I believe the injectors are wired in parallel - I'd disconnect all the leads and then test each injector separately.

Oooops. I wasn't thinking right. When you remove a commector, you can check each injector out of the network. I must've had two beers too many.:bash

I'll add to the list of advocating Jon's Bosch III replacements.
The Mul-Techs in the 89 to 91 can be susceptible to damage from injector cleaners and apparently you have that issue.
I replaced my originals last April with the III's and it runs fine to this day as a daily driver.
As mentioned above, the injectors aren't noticed or checked by many, unless they have a lot of experience with the Mul-Techs. So please, don't kill your Tech yet:D

Great to see you found A problem, could be morestuff going on, but it´s the free stuff we must check first, before we make the mechanics happier.

:cool :thumb

Stella's Got Her Grove Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replaced all 8 injectors with Jon Banners Bosch III and we're off and running again! Took it out for a 25 mile ride this morning and she's running like new again! Thanks again everyone. This a fantastic resource and I'll be sure to spread the good word about this site. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom