Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A Replacement Tire to Consider for the C6 Z

catbert

Corvette
Night Race blue C7
I just replaced the OEM Goodyears on my 2007 Z06 at almost 18,000 miles. They have been head and shoulders above the C5 and C6 Z51 run flats, and that's a great thing. I replaced them with the hard to find Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Pole Position run flats. The availability of this tire has been so inconsistant that the Bridgestone website didn't list them the last time I checked.

Back to point. The Bridgestone's are (at least) a great street tire, although I think they will be a great track tire too based on the performance of the RE05s on other cars. It's really hard to tell how a tire performs at 95/100 in the winter, at least with me driving. But around town the new tire handles well, and rides smoother than I thought the Z could ride. Even at thirty degrees, it takes major throttle to break them loose in second gear. At this point, I highly recommnd them as a worthy replacement for the OEM Eagles...and it's always good to have a choice.

Rich,

Just curious. Were your tires totally worn out? Or did you have some tread left?

SAVE THE :w!

At 17,500 miles the rears had only a couple more thousand miles left. The fronts were only 50% worn. Lots of highway miles, and only a couple track days.

I replaced my GY's with the same back in August. I had 15k on the GY's at the time. I have been very happy with the Bridgstones so far. Good rain tire and excellent dry tire. Much better ride and quieter than the GY's. I would still like to find a non run flat that is a straight swap front and rear though. I loved my BF Goodrich G Force KDWs I had on my 2000 FRC. I wish Michelin would make those in Z06 sizes.

I replaced my worn out GYs at 9000 miles--how in h*ll did you get 18,000? I calculated that even if it had been all during the $4/gallon time period (it wasn't) the fuel cost was still less than the tire cost for that 9000 miles....
I bought Nitto Invos (the rears are 345 instead of 325, but no problems) and the Nittos are cheaper, stickier and a little better ride than the GYs. Since actual blow-outs are so rare, I don't worry about not having a spare.

I also was wondering about the General Exclaim UHP Summer tires. They are available from Tire Rack in the stock size for the 2007 ZO6 for $807 per set delivered , or about half the price of the Goodyears or Bridgestones. They are not runflats so it's likely they're much quieter and less harsh riding as well. Since I'm not planning to track my car anymore, I'm wondering if any differences in the tires' performance would be much of a drawback on the road. Any opinions or comments? The Bugster

For cruising and other non-demanding activities almost any tire should be fine as long as they have the proper speed rating. That said, remember that the Vette suspension is set up for stiff sidewall tires so handling at 9/10 and greater will be impacted in SOME way.

I just put the General Exclaim UHP's on my '06 Z06 and I have noticed a difference in the handling(negative) already. I am happy to have saved the money from the GY's but truthfully I was hoping for a little better lateral performance.

I do a lot of tracking and was wondering if anybody uses the Hoosier R6 tires? What do you think of them?

RE the Hoosier's - I used them on my C5. Good track tire, but make sure they are hot before you push them. Don't ask how I know that.

I ended up putting Bridgestone Pole Position Runflats on my 2007 Z06, replacing my Goodyear RF's after 15000 mi. I love these tires. I've put about 750 mi. on them on both dry and wet roads and they perform superbly. As an added bonus they are far quieter than the Goodyears were. I had the wheels realigned to settings that are more friendly to tire wear. Adhesion on the track may suffer a little as a result of the realignment but I'll bet it's still pretty darn good. The Bugster

I just put the General Exclaim UHP's on my '06 Z06 and I have noticed a difference in the handling(negative) already. I am happy to have saved the money from the GY's but truthfully I was hoping for a little better lateral performance.

I do a lot of tracking and was wondering if anybody uses the Hoosier R6 tires? What do you think of them?
Lateral friction is important to me. In your estimation, about how much less friction are you talking about on a skidpad? I am interested in these tires also, but not at the expense of lateral grip. My usual Sunday drive looks like this~
19JAN2009014.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom