Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A tough choice

Chetzki

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT4 Coupe
I have 3 vehicles and two drivers to evacuate from Lake Jackson (15 miles from the beach south of Houston). I had to decide between taking the truck or the LT4 coupe. My car is in my garage on jack stands and I think that was the right thing to do.

We left at 3:30PM Wednesday and got to my parent's in KS 25 hours later. We went 25 miles the first 6 hours in 100deg heat. I don't think the car would have made it without running the heater. We were afraid of running out of gas, so we left the recommended evacuation route and cruised right on out of there. The evacuation plan was/is a disaster!!!!. With the current storm track, odds are my car will be safer where it is compared to driving it out of there with the current storm track.

Next time I will get it out of harm's way much earlier. We are safe and happy, I just can't stop thinking about that car! I love that car.

Praying for everyone! :W

Sorry to hear that you are one of the unfortunate people that have to evacuate. We will all be thinking of you and your family...be safe.

As far as tracking Rita goes, I've been watching the storm from NOAA.org. Looking at their predicted path for Rita, it should reach land in Texas just west of the Louisiana border. My personal prediction is right at the Texas/Louisiana border. Houstin area will still get heavy rain and wind...just not the center of the storm.

Good luck to you and you family.

Best of luck to you... and everyone in the path of hurricane Rita.

My prayers will be with all of you.

Good to see there are still some sensible people out there. I can't believe that some people take the chance and try to ride it out in their homes. If anything was learned from Katrina, it's that possessions can come and go, but your life, once it's gone, is gone!
No matter what vehicle you chose to take to KS with you was the right choice. As long as you left the potential disaster. Take care of yourself and your family.

Best of luck to you and your family. With the current track hopefully you did the right thing. Good idea to put it up on jackstands. Hopefully the garage door doesn't blow in on the car.

During Katrina I used some concrete pavers (three per wheel) and drove up on them just to gain a little height. Luckily the water didn't rise here but the yard did have standing water from all the rain. The Vette looked like a champ standing on the podium ... high and dry.

I know what you mean about loving your car. I loved mine also ... if it came to evacuating I would have taken the Vette over my old truck just because the Vette is worth more .... Not to mention its a much cooler vehicle.

Hopefully this thing will continue to die down a bit before it makes landfall. Our prayers are with all of you. This is a very difficult and trying time but you did the right thing in heeding the warnings and evacuating. Personally I will NOT ride another one out, I've been through several now, but nothing will match the last one and if I never go through that again it will be too soon.

Be safe and take care. If there is anything we can do for you let us know. Houston is only about six or seven hours away normally, I have a 5.5kW generator and several gas cans, about two dozen or so cases of water, a couple of cases of MRE's, propane cylinders and a propane stove and lantern should you feel you need them I would be willing to drive them over. The help that others provided here in our time of need was greatly appreciated and its something I can do to return the favor.

:w

Chetzki

Best of luck to you. I'm glad to see that Rita is weakening... I wouldn't wish what we've been through with Katrina on anyone.

Hopefully raising your car will be sufficient to keep her out of harm's way.

Let us know how you make out when you can.

Take care.
:pat Jane Ann

Thanks all. The more time that goes by the more I can relax. I'm really feeling for the people still on the highways and those that did not expect to have to move until it turned further NE than expected. Fortunately the wind will be on the opposite side of my garage door, but it sure looks flimsy!

Thanks for your prayers. We had peace even when we thought we were going to get a direct hit and that's not natural!

Chetzki

Sir I feel for you and the folks effected by this weather. If I had to make a simular choice I would chose the most realiable and versitile vechicle I could get my hands on to make the evacuation. So I think you made the best choice also

Keep the faith

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom