Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

A winter project....

96Holly

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green Coupe
I am thinking of plunging out my cats this winter. I think that the pipes are clogged. OR I just want more flow. (I have no reason to believe that they are in fact clogged)

1) What is the best way to remove the screens, inards etc out of the cats?

2) What does it take to do it? (Easy/Hard?)

3) What improvment would I gain? (I have the LT4)

4) Do I have to modify the rest of the system?

Just sitting here pondering at work... OK boss be right there! I also was at the SCCA Pro rally this past weekend in the UP of Michigan. MODS MODS MODS....

Well your Check Engine Light will come on if you don't install O2 sensor simulators.. I would leave the cats intact you won't get a big gain gutting them out.. if you want to get a better flow and sound get an exhaust system.. I put a set of hooker headers on mine and there was very little if no difference in power those cats are pretty high flowing.. anyhow.. I would start with the K&N Filter and an exhaust system... those are two pretty simple mods..

The stock cats are not high flow.... high flow cats cost big bucks, so do headers... If I wanted to get rid of the cats, I would take them off the car and replace them with straight pipe. Here is why: If you gut the cats and you want to sell the car, and the buyer lives in an area where they test, either no sale, or you get less for the car.... If for some reason they start testing where you live... you have to spend big bucks on new cats.... if you put in a "Test Pipe" where the cats are now, you can save them for the next owner, or in case you need them in the future

Thanks for the replies...

I am still not sure what I am going to do this winter...

Hey vettelt193 out of curiosity who makes "test pipes" for the vette? i hav't searched hard but I havn't seem them anywhere yet.. Thanks,
Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom