Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Abnormal tire wear??

• Thread starter Thread starter NEO-ZR1
  • Start date Start date
N

NEO-ZR1

So after a really long story and two weeks I finally got my new rear tires put on. But here's my question.

I had the original Goodyears (not run-flats) that came on the ZR1 from 1995 with 13,000 miles. Yeah i do alittle burnin with them, but approx 3 inches of the inside tread was completely gone and I had cord showing thru. It was more prevalent(sp?) on the right side than the left side. I should have takin some pics but i didn't.

Do you guys think its worth getting my camber/castor checked in the rear end? Is my tire wear because of the 315 series tires and lots of tight right turns the tire drags slightly at low speed around corners?

What you guys think?

NEO-ZR1 said:
So after a really long story and two weeks I finally got my new rear tires put on. But here's my question.

I had the original Goodyears (not run-flats) that came on the ZR1 from 1995 with 13,000 miles. Yeah i do alittle burnin with them, but approx 3 inches of the inside tread was completely gone and I had cord showing thru. It was more prevalent(sp?) on the right side than the left side. I should have takin some pics but i didn't.

Do you guys think its worth getting my camber/castor checked in the rear end? Is my tire wear because of the 315 series tires and lots of tight right turns the tire drags slightly at low speed around corners?

What you guys think?
What you didn't tell us is what the rest of the tread looked like. If you were corded in the inside with the rest of the tread nearly worn but not corded, your wear is pretty normal for 315s. If you were corded in the inside abut had useful tread left from the halfway point out, then you may need alignment. The right rear may wear more than the left rear because of a slight torque bias from side to side when the car's putting down power or the camber is not the same on each side.

There is no caster adjustment at the rear, only camber and toe-in.

Hib Halverson said:
What you didn't tell us is what the rest of the tread looked like. If you were corded in the inside with the rest of the tread nearly worn but not corded, your wear is pretty normal for 315s. If you were corded in the inside abut had useful tread left from the halfway point out, then you may need alignment. The right rear may wear more than the left rear because of a slight torque bias from side to side when the car's putting down power or the camber is not the same on each side.

There is no caster adjustment at the rear, only camber and toe-in.
The cord only showed thru in one spot aprox 1.5" wide about 6 inches long. there was no tread for approx 3 inches from the inside of the tire.
I'd say that the tread that was left was maybe 1/8"at most from the halfway point of the right tire. Im thinking they were pretty much shot.

They were 8 year old tires too..Not real keen on putting 400-horsies to 8 year old rubber for any extended period of time.
Is it worth getting the alignment checked out or is that sort of wear relatively common with this car/tire combo.

thanx

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom