Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

About Craftsman Tools...

I

Iron Chef

I like Craftsman. A decent tool, reasonably priced with a great guarantee. Would I like a set of Snap-On tools better? Yeah, but for what I do, it would be kind of a waste.

I went to return a ratchet the other day to my local Sears that had broke (after 20 years). The kid working in the tool section takes it and opens a drawer with about 15 ratchets in it and hands me one. I look at him and say "What's this?" He says "We exchange ratchets with RE-MANUFACTURED units." :eek I said that the guarantee is free lifetime replacement with a new tool. He goes on to tell me that it's some sort of store policy. I told him (politely) that I really don't care about store policy and get his manager over here immediately. The guy comes over and takes a new ratchet off the shelf and hands it to me, with an apology. He then counsels his young intern that if a customer asks for a new tool, they are to be given one.

I got what I wanted, and there's really no harm done, but I think it's kind of cheesy that a store would institute such a policy. Since Sears is obviously re-manufacturing tools, I'd find it hard to believe this is the only store that does it and some unsuspecting consumer might not get full value from the guarantee.

Has anyone had this happen?

I understand your concern and when I exchanged a ratchet a few years ago I noticed it was remanufactured but it didn't occur to me to ask for a new one. Frankly this reman. unit has lasted longer than the original - and with much harsher treatment.

I wonder if the remanufacturing of these ratchets is like the refurbishing of electronics. When they refurbish they check everything to insure proper operation - which is better than a randon sampling off the original production line. I've never had trouble with "refurbished" electronics or this ratchet.

Do Snap-on and Mac and such replace with rebuilt units? I know they have lifetime guarantees as well.

I got a set of Craftsman tools for christmas a couple years back. I was using the 3/8 drive ratchet for about the 3rd time last year when it broke. I took it back to Sears and was given a remanufactured ratchet to replace it. I was kinda peeved that it was brand new and had only been used three times but I didn't think to insist on a brand new one. Next time I will for sure, though.

-J.

The wireless companies usually only send out "refurbished" units to replace warranty claims. This has been my experience several times. I made a stink the last time and received a "new" unit. I guess it depends on what you want. And what these companies are willing to give back. I used to like Sears quite a bit. About 30 years ago. I owned a repair shop so I have all Snap-On, MAC & Matco tools. I did not shop Sears for tools. But I did shop Sears for other items. Things change over time.
Save the Wave!

The old guy at our Sears told me they send them back to ???hold (can't remember the name of the company that actually makes the tools) and they pop out the retaining ring, replace the entire guts and ship them back. So, even though it's remanufactured, the only thing not brand new is the handle. I have yet to have a reman'd one fail on me, unlike the one's I started with. Maybe the QC is better for the raman'd ones.

- Eric:w

What do they do with tools that have names ingraved on the handle?

I_R_DA_ONE said:
What do they do with tools that have names ingraved on the handle?

they send it back to the store you turned it into and wait for you return another and then they give it back to you :L thats why there are so many in the drawer.

When I graduated from high school and began my automotive apprenticeship in 1961 ( Yeah, I'm old .... ;) ), my dad bought me a basic set of Craftsman tools. I still have most of the tools which are in super condition considering their age. I have never owned a 1/2" drive ratchet other than the Craftsman that I got in 1961. It still has the original guts!!! If you don't put a pipe on the end of it, I think it will last forever!

I'm kind of proud of my old Craftsman tools and they look good mixed in with the SnapOn ..... <G>

Ron ... :beer

I was given a 3/8 rachet with the swivel head by a friend that broke it and didn't care to waste his time taking it back. It layed around here for a couple years and one day I took it to Sears in Ft. Wayne when we went shopping. They popped out the guts and put in a new one right there in front of me. It worked perfect for a long time until my son loaned it to a friend of his that was working on an engine. I never saw it again. Believe me, I bring that subject up occasionally.

That's the only ratchet I have had to replace in 35 years of Craftsman tools.

I recieved a basic Craftsman mechanics set when I was 16. The only tool I had to take back was a flat blade screwdriver that the blade actually chipped. Yes, I WAS using as a screwdriver at the time it broke, and not a chisel! :L That happened about 2 or 3 years after I got the set. I took it back to Sears and the gave me a brand new screwdriver right then and there. I haven't had one problem with any of the other tools since then either.

I still have that set of tools and have added to it over the years. I'm very pleased with Craftsman tools and will continue to keep using them in the future.

I've got a couple of broken Sears rachets and a broken 3/8" 3-inch extension that I need to return. The only reason I hadn't was that the one time I had tried to return a craftsman tool, a broken easyout, they told me that it was part of a set and I needed to return the whole set to get it replaced - ****ed me off since I no longer had the whole set since I had lost a few of them. Really pi$$ed me off when it broke to start with since it was a largest one in the set and it broke when I was trying to remove a broken bolt in the front suspension of my MGB. Since I then couldn't drill out the broken easyout then I had to totally take apart the front suspension to get at the bolt from underneath.

Kevin

Craftsman Club Members: BE ADVISED!

The 10% discount that Sears used to extend to Craftsman Club members is now only good on internet purchases and in-store items featured in their sales flyer. So if you are one of those people who had your eye on that tool that never goes on sale - and you were waiting to buy it at 10% off during the Craftsman Club days - sorry, all bet are off. You can, however, buy it online and pick it up at the store, but taht seems like such a waste! Why not just buy it with the CC discount at the store? Sears marketing executives at work...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom