Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ABS Warning light on my 2003

billroth

Corvette
2-88 bl & blk Conv, 96 Conv, 68 bl Tt, 98 & 03
;help Both yellow ABS and Traction Control lights came on for a day, next day no lights and now their on all the time.

Just bought the car and it has only 29000 miles on it when this happened. Since it was out of warrantee by year I took it to an large independant auto service company that works on Vettes and other sports cars. He stated that his crew has the ability to check fault codes. The code stated it was an ABS valve(;shrug) or something like that, but he had to take out the module to see if he is getting a brake code or bad module. Taking out the module would take 1.5 hours and if it is a bad module the price is $1200. just for the module:eek:hnoes Told him to check the module, but don't replace the module. I am checking with a Chev dealer to see if there were an factory recalls or because of the mileage anything GM does to back up the ABS system.

QUESTION: Have you had a problem like this and what was the resolation? Anyone aware if GM does help with this. Am I being scammed:puke:pukewith so much crap? HELP!

Fault code was C1214 and they said the mod was bad. Maybe your smart enough to know this, but the price of a OEM mod is $1200. and if I send it to Moscow, Idaho it is $225+ shipping with 48 hour turn around, 5 yr. warrantee.

Someone said I can pullout the mod and still drive the car while I am waiting. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks for responding!
Bill

HI there,
If you attempt to drive it with the module disconnected, you will create massive trouble codes and you will not have any traction control or ABS function.
Plus, the ABS hydraulic unit will be hanging and thats not too good for the hydraulic lines.
Allthebest, c4c5

I guess that wasn't a good idea. I guess I will have to take it out and wait to get it remanufactured. Thanks for your prompt response!

Bill

HI there,
If you attempt to drive it with the module disconnected, you will create massive trouble codes and you will not have any traction control or ABS function.
Plus, the ABS hydraulic unit will be hanging and thats not too good for the hydraulic lines.
Allthebest, c4c5

I'm having similar problems. Maybe the same.

I'm exploring all avenues and looking for advice regarding the module. I've got the infamous "trifecta", with the ABS, Selective Handling and Traction Control service warnings, chimes and lights. My DIC codes are TCS1214,TCS1293 and LDCM2284.

Hypothetically, if I decided that I could live without traction control and ABS even though it's probably unwise, could the "massive trouble codes" be de-programmed? So that they didn't come on? What about other things that the computer monitors?

I'm interested in avoiding other issues that I'm in fear of.

I'm disappointed in the overwhelming number of problems the C5 has from personal experience, the recalls and reading about other peoples problems. ie. the column lock, ignition switch, the loose seat track (the "rocking chair"), weak seats (bolsters), cheap leather, leaking batteries, extremely sensitive battery voltage, grounding problems, bad door locks, bad window spools, scraped front ends and rocker panels (I know this is to be expected with ownership, but still a drawback), oil woes on certain year models, sticky trunk lid, hydroformed frame rails that alot of shops can't accomodate, rocker needle bearing failure, leaky differential seal, faulty sulfur affected gas guage, noisy fuel pump, unreliable dual zone A/C, having to clean the udders, drivetrain rattle, the exhaust crossover "jingle", the water intrusion etc...

I haven't had all these problems with this, my first Corvette, a 2002 ZO6, but I'm holding my breath. I've had other problems that weren't necessarily inherent.

Don't get me wrong, the car is absolutely exhilarating to drive and look at! The C5 is a radical improvement over prior generations and vastly technologically superior. The ZO6 is great! There are definately shortcomings that must be overlooked. That goes with the territory, I know.

I'm reluctant to get my hands dirty and retrieve the module. I'll working on overcoming that in therapy. I'm aware of sending it off to get "refurbished" once and hopefully for all.

Thanks

Fault code was C1214 and they said the mod was bad. Maybe your smart enough to know this, but the price of a OEM mod is $1200. and if I send it to Moscow, Idaho it is $225+ shipping with 48 hour turn around, 5 yr. warrantee.

Someone said I can pullout the mod and still drive the car while I am waiting. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks for responding!
Bill
Been there Done that!!Mine took a dump at 36,000 miles!! Send it to Brandon at www.absfixer.com Heck of a nice guy,Knowledgeable,Excellent Trouble Shooter and don't mind talking to you on the phone!!Lifetime Warranty Quick service had mine back in 38 hours!! Cost me $158.00 plus $18.50 Fed-Ex Takes about 1.0 hour to remove and replace it!! I bagged the Wire Plugs and Poppet Valves so road dirt wouldn't get in them and drove mine!:upthumbs

Been there Done that!!Mine took a dump at 36,000 miles!! Send it to Brandon at www.absfixer.com Heck of a nice guy,Knowledgeable,Excellent Trouble Shooter and don't mind talking to you on the phone!!Lifetime Warranty Quick service had mine back in 38 hours!! Cost me $158.00 plus $18.50 Fed-Ex Takes about 1.0 hour to remove and replace it!! I bagged the Wire Plugs and Poppet Valves so road dirt wouldn't get in them and drove mine!:upthumbs

Thanks. I was fixing to hunt down the link.

Thanks. I was fixing to hunt down the link.
Check and clean all grounds on the frame by hood hinges and under battery first!!Allot of times that fixes them!! But of coarse it didn't fix mine and thats the Only one I've had to send off!!;LOL;LOL;LOL:hb

:upthumbs

;help Both yellow ABS and Traction Control lights came on for a day, next day no lights and now their on all the time.

Just bought the car and it has only 29000 miles on it when this happened. Since it was out of warrantee by year I took it to an large independant auto service company that works on Vettes and other sports cars. He stated that his crew has the ability to check fault codes. The code stated it was an ABS valve(;shrug) or something like that, but he had to take out the module to see if he is getting a brake code or bad module. Taking out the module would take 1.5 hours and if it is a bad module the price is $1200. just for the module:eek:hnoes Told him to check the module, but don't replace the module. I am checking with a Chev dealer to see if there were an factory recalls or because of the mileage anything GM does to back up the ABS system.

QUESTION: Have you had a problem like this and what was the resolation? Anyone aware if GM does help with this. Am I being scammed:puke:pukewith so much crap? HELP!

Bill--I had the same problem. Chevrolet charged me $100.00 for a diagnostic check and told me I had a bad module. I took the module out and sent it to ABSfixer.com and he repaired it for me for $150.00. I cost me $8 to ship it to him and I had it back in less than a week. Everything works perfect now. Whatever you do, don't drive the car as the module controls hydraulic valves that operate through wheel sensors as well as the brakes. I would advise that when you remove the module that you cover the valves to prevent dust from entering. Dust plays havoc with hydraulic systems. Hope I could be of some help. ABSfixer has a nice web site showing exactly how to remove the module.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom