Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

AC Compressor fried?????

wonl2

Corvette
Hello Forum Members, I have a '79 L48 Vette and I might have a big problem. I took my car to get detailed at a local detailer two weeks ago. I had them clean the engine so that it would be clean for the new year. My AC was working great before I took the car in but now when I turn on my AC the compressor stops spinning and the belt make a horrendous squealing noise. The AC compressor turns freely when it's off but freezes up when the AC is turned on. I'm thinking that the Compressor got wet and then "shorts out" when the AC is turned on. I drove the car around for a couple hours thinking that the heat from the engine would dry out the Compressor but to no avail. I let the car sit for a week, once again to let the compressor dry out but it still is happening.

Any ideas on my next step?
Do I need to replace my compressor?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Phil

Clutch?

The clutch sounds fine to me since it's only noticeable when you turn the A/C on, that also eliminates an electrical fault since the clutch is the only electrical part there.
Probably the compressor based on what you've described.

Hello Forum Members, I have a '79 L48 Vette and I might have a big problem. I took my car to get detailed at a local detailer two weeks ago. I had them clean the engine so that it would be clean for the new year. My AC was working great before I took the car in but now when I turn on my AC the compressor stops spinning and the belt make a horrendous squealing noise. The AC compressor turns freely when it's off but freezes up when the AC is turned on. I'm thinking that the Compressor got wet and then "shorts out" when the AC is turned on. I drove the car around for a couple hours thinking that the heat from the engine would dry out the Compressor but to no avail. I let the car sit for a week, once again to let the compressor dry out but it still is happening.

Any ideas on my next step?
Do I need to replace my compressor?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Phil

The part that is spinning freely with the engine running and a/c off is the pulley and bearing, not the compressor. With the engine running and a/c turned on, the compressor clutch hub in the middle of the pulley area is magnetically pulled in and rotates the compressor. With the engine off and key removed, try turning the compressor hub (circular rubber and metal part ) in the middle of the pulley area by hand and see if it turns (you will actually be turning the compressor, the hub is directly connected to the compressor shaft). If it turns, then the compressor is free. If it does not turn the compressor is locked up. Good luck with it. :)

Take the car to any automotive AC shop and let them check it. No sense replacing a compressor which may not be bad.
:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom