Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: AC Rebuild

berry1133@bellsouth.net

Hello guys. I got an estimate to have my ac system rebuilt. This will include a new condenser, lines, compressor, accumulator, and R12. I already have the compressor & accumulator so the price of this isn't included in the estimate. So for parts and labor, I was quoted $1230 + tax. What are your thoughts on this quote?

interesting. my ac is still origional and i was thinking of converting to new r12 system. all my equiptment works but no cold air. i had no idea it would cost so much. i wonder how much the components would cost?

im sure its origional but im not sure its r12 i was referencing your post i thought r12 was new style but i dont know ac.

R-12 is the original stuff in '81. R-134 is the EPA mandated stuff used today. And everyone knows how good the EPA is at telling us all what to do.

R-12 has not been commercially available for sometime, unless someone happens to have it available,you can not purchase it.
I changed mine over to R-134a
A couple of years ago and ha e not had a problem with it....

R12 is still available, just not to the open public. You need some type of license to get it and, it's quite expensive.

Hello guys. I got an estimate to have my ac system rebuilt. This will include a new condenser, lines, compressor, accumulator, and R12. I already have the compressor & accumulator so the price of this isn't included in the estimate. So for parts and labor, I was quoted $1230 + tax. What are your thoughts on this quote?

As said R12 is the old and R134 is the new. Make sure with the new R134 that your compressor can handle the liquid. You don't want your compressor to die because of the new liquid. As for R12, overhere you have to know where to look for it. Normally guys that survice big cooling cells for flowers or vegestables have acces to it. And for these cooling cells they need a huge amount of R12 in the system so it's a big supply of clean R12 ;)
But hey, I didn't tell you this...

Greeting Peter

As said R12 is the old and R134 is the new. Make sure with the new R134 that your compressor can handle the liquid. You don't want your compressor to die because of the new liquid. As for R12, overhere you have to know where to look for it. Normally guys that survice big cooling cells for flowers or vegestables have acces to it. And for these cooling cells they need a huge amount of R12 in the system so it's a big supply of clean R12 ;)
But hey, I didn't tell you this...

Greeting Peter
you don't have the EPA telling what you can and cannot use!!!:ugh:ugh

Well, its forbidden overhere from somewhere in the mid 90's.
Weird thing is as we were improving ourselfs for 10 years without R12, India managed to open a new factory to product R12... But you have to start somewhere right.

As the companies with the cooling cells have to pay for every kilo that has been removed they have no problem with it if some kilo's dissappear and they don't have to pay for the missing kilo's.
Second thing, as the cooling cells have compressors that or running lube oil in a separate system the R12 is still clean and uncontaminated but you have to add some 525 viso oil yourself. :)
I think one kilo R12 is something like 30 - 40 euro's overhere.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom