Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Accel HEI Coil Question

J

jnsampson

I've seen ads in both major catalogs, Ecklers, and Mid America, for an ACCEL HEI Coil. There are two variants. One has yellow and red wires. The other one has white and black wires (I believe). Does anyone know offhand if the 1985 L98 takes the red and yellow or the white and black?

:confused

I'd think the easiest way to find out would be to call one of them and ask''em.

Ekler's # is 1800-327-4868, I don't have Mid-America's.

This way you'll know for sure too.

Hope this helped.

Rick

Just went through this....I got the Super Coil....use the yellow and red wires. It does make a big difference, I added the Accel 8.8mm wires, rotor and cap and Bosch +4 plugs...

Thanks Eagle,

A couple of more questions though. Do I have to get the plug wires replaced? Or can I use the stock that are there for the time being?

What can I expect as far as a performance difference?

thanks,

:cool

Well Sir....spark plug wires agree with the old saying...bigger is better. The coil with the red and yellow wires puts out a lot more voltage over the stock coil...makes sense to add bigger wires to make sure the plugs get all the spark they can handle.
Difference? Well is starts better...runs a bunch smoother...got me better gas milage. And when the pedal goes down there is a bigger kick in the butt then before. Well worth the hassle to install and run. Plus it looks good under the hood.
Also you will have to replace the plenum extension as the stock one will not work with the Super Coil.

Thanks for the input. I know about the plenum extension. I've bid on an Accel HEI Coil on eBay. Going price right now is $36.00. I'll see how it goes. Again, thanks for the info.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom