Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ACCEL Long-Tube Runners - Cold Start Plug

O

omega1940

I'm finishing up a major mod to my 88, L-98 stock. I bought some
ACCEL "High Flow TPI Runners. ("Long-Tube")

The new runners do not have an opening for the cold start valve going into the intake. The 88 long-tube runners are supposed to come with a "cold start valve plug kit" while 89 and up they say the cold start valve passage is "blocked-off" The fuel line from the cold-start valve goes into the fuel rail and I guess this must be blocked off. This is real confusing to me. Has anyone replaced their runners with these high flow runners.

Is the ECM going to show a code? Can the chip be re-programmed?

Thanks.

Hey,

Well the Chip does not control the Cold start injector, it can be changed to compenstae for not having the cold start injector as well.

As for the Fuel rail, there is a cold start plug kit from Accel which removes the injector and line and it should work fine.

Cold-Start Injector

Jeff, thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. The old runners had an opening in them for the cold-start injector, and that (I guess) plugs into the end of the fuel rail. The new runners are larger and block off the place where the old injector was installed. I guess I would need to have a plug for the intake port for the cold-start injector as well as the place where it connected to the fuel rail. Right?

Are you saying that I really do need to have the chip reprogrammed to run without a cold-start valve, or will the lack of the valve send an error code to the ECM.

I spoke to a guy today that thought my 88 may not need a cold-start injector because it will have a lot more air coming in and won't need it, much like newer engines don't have a choke????

Like everything else about this project, I only understand 20% (maybe) and I'm in the dark.

Mike

Here is the PN for the cold start plug kit..
Accel PN 74820

The Car will still run and start with your current PROM.. there will be no codes set since the Cold start injector is not even connected to the ECM.

Only thing you MAY notice is it may take a short bit of extra time to start when cold, that is all

Cold-Start Injector

Jeff, thanks for the info. I got a response from the fellow that sold me the runners and he said there should have been an opening for the cold start plug. I don't think there was and I think he is wrong. The instructions from Accel said that for the 88 I need the plug. Is the plug designed to block the injector hole or the hold that goes into the end of the fuel rail?

I'll get this worked out somehow. The car is still going back together, so I have a couple of days. I'm in Seattle on business until the 28th so I have to do this by phone. Pretty frustrating when you (Me) don't know what you are doing.

Mike

Re: Cold-Start Injector

omega1940 said:
Is the plug designed to block the injector hole or the hold that goes into the end of the fuel rail?

to my knowledge there will be a plug for the runner hole and then the threaded Cap for the Fuel rail..

Cold-Start Injector

Thanks for the tip. After speaking with the supplier of the runners and Accel intake, it now appears that the large-tube runners "cover" the hole in the intake for the cold-start injector. I think I got the runners for the 89 L-98 and up because they didn't have a cold-start injector. I checked the box for the part-number and they are listed as the right runners for the 88, but there is no hole for the runners.

Exotic Muscle, who sold me the intake and runners, said that there was no reason to plug the intake hole because it would be covered by the runners. All I need to do is put a cap on the fuel rail at the front where the injector connection was made.

I would really like to hear someone out there who knows EXACTLY what's going on. If the runners had a place for the cold-start injector they would not need a plug. If the runners, like mine, have no hole for the injector, they apparently don't need a plug. When is the plug used for Pete's sake!

Someone out there must have used large tube runers on a pre-=89 L98. What gives? By the way, Exotic Muscle said the chip could be reprogrammed to run richer (I suppose) when the engine was cold. The 89's and up solve the cold-start that way rather than with the cold-start injector. In Phoenix I don't think I need one in any case.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Here is the deal.. it sounds as if you have the 89-91 (92 for f-body) runner without the Cold start injector hole.

You will need the Fuel Rail Cap as bluevette85 mentioned.. this will then remove the cold start injector completely..

The accel kit is 2 pieces.. one plug for the fuel rail and one for the runner.

Hope this helps

Cold-Start Injector

Jeff, I think you are right. I take it that even though I have an 88 intake with a cold-start hole, that the 89 runners will adequately cover it up.

It seems that the ECM on 89's and up was set to enrich the air/fuel mixture at start-up. You said the cold-start was not connected to the ECM, but should the chip be modified to allow for enrichment (or whatever) at start-up. My mechanic thinks I don't need cold start enrichment anyway because it is always so hot in Arizona. What about restarts after running very hot for a time. Is the current configuration adequate for that?

Sorry to bug you so much Jeff but I'm the kind of guy that really needs to know all the answers to these nagging little questions.

Mike

Re: Cold-Start Injector

omega1940 said:
Jeff, I think you are right. I take it that even though I have an 88 intake with a cold-start hole, that the 89 runners will adequately cover it up.

Yes, that is correct

omega1940 said:

It seems that the ECM on 89's and up was set to enrich the air/fuel mixture at start-up. You said the cold-start was not connected to the ECM, but should the chip be modified to allow for enrichment (or whatever) at start-up. My mechanic thinks I don't need cold start enrichment anyway because it is always so hot in Arizona. What about restarts after running very hot for a time. Is the current configuration adequate for that?

I agree with your mechanic, I know other that eliminated the CSI (Cold Start Injector) and never really had problems. Maybe on occasion it will take a bit longer when cold, but will be fine. Yes, the PROM you have should be fine as well

omega1940 said:

Sorry to bug you so much Jeff but I'm the kind of guy that really needs to know all the answers to these nagging little questions.

No sweat that is what I am here for

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom