Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

access to dash bulb

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
Does anyone know if I could reach the right turn signal bulb from the center dash opening? I started to take the dr. dash off but found that to be way too much trouble for a single bulb. I can not reach it from the bottom. I read a thread about someone accessing it when they had their center bezal removed. I would like to make sure before I pull it off that I will be able to reach the back of the bulb.

Thanks, Andy

it was a bit of a pain, but i was able to change out a burned out signal indicator bulb by removing the housing bezel and lense, etc of the speedometer/tachometer assembly and pulling it forward out of the dash enough to get my hand behind it. it just took a bit of doing, and it would help if you had smaller hands and thin wrists, LOL, but it can be done. i think i tired it from the side (i had my center assembly completely out at the time), but i couldn't get my hand all the way through to get to the bulb holder if i recall correctly.

I think that was the only way that I know to change the bulb. If you ever pull the drivers"s dash, it's a good time to change all the bulbs and maybe go to a higher wattage to make them brighter.

I think that was the only way that I know to change the bulb. If you ever pull the drivers"s dash, it's a good time to change all the bulbs and maybe go to a higher wattage to make them brighter.

actually, i would suggest that you replace them with the LED bulbs that are available as exact replacements. they burn with virtually NO heat and they are brighter than the stock bulbs. if you go to higher wattage replacements, in my opinion you are asking for all sorts of trouble from the increased heat they generate. remember for the most part you are dealing with components that are 25 or more years old. there was a reason the original bulbs were of the wattage they are. the LED bulbs aren't cheap, but they should be the last bulbs you will ever change, and have all the advantages of the lower wattage original bulbs but produce much cooler, brighter output.

I've looked for these led's no luck could you post a vendor or more info on them? Thanks

I've looked for these led's no luck could you post a vendor or more info on them? Thanks

if you do a google search for 194 LED bulbs (and different combinations of those words) you will find a load of vendors. if you go to ebay and do the same search you will find a load of vendors also. i don't know where you looked and couldn't find anything. they are all over the place on the web.

I'm not 100 % sure but I think the 75's did not use 194 push in type bulbs for the dash. They were on seperate wires with a bulb holder on the end. The bulb was a round toppped bulb with a "tabbed" style base you had to turn to lock it in the socket.
So, I'm not sure there is a LED replacement.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TC,
Frank

i'm not certain, but it seems to me that when i was searching for what i needed, several of the vendors had "push in' and "twist" options to order. it wouldn't hurt to email or call one of the vendors (after looking through your owner's manual to determine the bulb number) to check it out. but that's just my opinion based upon what i remember. i certainly don't doubt that the 75 used a bayonet type bulb at the time it was made. it should be easy enough to check by looking at one of the marking lights (same bulb use as the dash bulbs in the 78 at least) or the rear license plate light (same thing) rather than pulling the dash apart to check. i would assume that whatever the bulb, someone has a replacement LED more likely than not. i've even seen replacement LED floodlights for high hat interior home lighting, and replacement LED bulb assemblies for maglight flashlights.

bulb

To remove the speedo/tach console you must lower the steering column. I guess some owners have managed without doing this but the right way is always the best way. You can damage the console while tugging and struggling trying to get your hand behind it You could also dislodge other bulbs so when you put it back together you have more systems unlit than before you started. It is good practice to disconnect the battery when fussing with anything electrical. Always test your work before buttoning everything up. I hate it when I have do do something twice because I didnt check my work. To lower the column, remove the two bolts that secure the column under the dash. Pull the carpet away from the firewall behind your brake/ clutch pedal etc. you will see two fasteners that must be loosened so the column will drop down. Just loosen them You dont want to remove the plate assembly that secures the column to the firewall. Be sure you removed all the screws holding the spedo pod to the dash/console. There are two in the door jam Dont forget them . Good luck PS If you need to diconnect the headlight switch stem there is a small spring loaded button that you push while you pull the head light knob. The knob and shaft will come out. Another reason to diconnect the battery otherwise your lights will be on while you are doing the job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom