Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Active Handling Problem?

midnightc5

Corvette
2000 black coupe
Recently, I've noticed that my active handling is coming on more often. I could be driving down the road or slowing to a stop, I get the "active handling" in the DIC and the braking effect or shuddering of the brakes. This happens for about one second. Its happened only once or twice since I've owned the car,...but its happened a few times this week. I've recently installed new wheels and tires and have yet to have the pressure sensors re-learned. I don't think that would be cause though. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Hi c4c5,
I replaced the factory c5 wheels and tires for aftermarket z06 size wheels and tires. I think it's the ABS activating but it says active handling in the DIC. I think its only happening when I'm going straight. It might have come on once in a turn but it usually straight and/or as I'm slowing to a stop! Thanks again!

Paul,

I'm having a similar problem with my newly aquired 02. I'm also getting a service traction control, service vehicle soon, display on the DIC occasionally. Wheels are C5 stock, and tires are correct inflation.

Dale

Active Handling Problem

Hello Midnighe C-5. I have an 02 Coupe with just over 13,000 miles on it and had the same problem last spring when I had 8000 on the car. I would get both the Service Active Handling and Service ABS on the DIC. It would stay on for a few minutes and then go away. Did this for a few weeks then it came on and stayed on. Your brakes are ok but keep in mind you might not have your ABS working. I took it into the dealer and they ran the codes and the computer controlling both systems was shot and had to be replaced for a total of $1200!!!!! Chevy covered the total cost for me. The problem will not go away even though it might for a while. It needs to be put on the computer and checked. Good luck and report back on what was wrong and the fix.

DDLS1 said:
Paul,

I have 2 codes in the 28-TCS C1287 & C1288

Dale
HI there,
Your codes are indicating that you have a steering wheel sensor issue with your vehicle.
NOW, the first thing I would do is reprogram the ABS module with the latest calibration updates, as this could resolve your concern.
Then, if that does NOT resolve the problem, you will most likely replace the steering wheel position sensor.
Just remember, an accurate test of the sensor is critical to accurate diagnosis.
There is a test with the TECH2 that can be run.
For those who believe that the 'service active handling' and 'service ABS' is always the same thing, please consider this.
There are about 60 different reasons or DTC that could cause these messages.
Accurate diagnosis is KEY to effective repair.
Allthebest, c4c5:bang

I'm going to piggyback in this thread since I, too have just started getting messages in my DIC.

3 times after the last 5 startups, the message displays "Service Active Handling", "Service Traction Control", and "Service ABS".

The only code is in the 28-TCS system, and it is a C1214H code.

I checked the maxifuses for ABSELEC and ABS and they were OK.

I am thinking I have a problem in the electric braking control module...

C4C5, are there any other troubleshooting things I should try before taking it to the dealer? Luckily I have an extended warranty.

Tammy

HI there,
Unfortunately, No, there isnt.
This will most likely be the electronic brake control module that would have to be replaced.
It is very expensive, so that is GREAT that you have the extended warranty.
Hey, you get the part and we can put it in at Cruisefest:bang
Allthebest, c4c5

Tammy
I just had mine replaced. I don't remember exactly, but it was in the $1000-$1500 ($1200?) area for the repair. I also had an extended warranty, so I did not pay much attention to the cost.
Jim

I was getting a service traction control message quite often when going over rough surfaces; per gmjunkie I cleaned the connections with contact cleaner and used some dielectric grease.
end of problem.

Bossvette,

Where are these connections? I'm thinking since this car spent a fair amount of time near the ocean that there may be some corrosion in some of the contacts.

Dale

at each wheel there are wires that run into the backing plate area; you will have to get the Vette up in the air to do it. I have a lift so it was easy for me but you could do each wheel by it self and if needed take the wheel off to get at them easier.

Active handling problem

Hi Guys.
I've got a 05 C6 , and I had the "service active suspension package" warning come on, went away for a few days, and then came back on. I had the car on the rack last Friday changing the oil and discovered three shocks leaking, needing replacement. I'm assuming there's a connection. There's also a transaxle seal leaking. Going in the shop. Might be something to check. Are any of you folks experiencing the same thing?

Black 05C6, I'm not entirely sure how "translate-able" these messages are between C5s and C6s. And I wouldn't want to give you bad information.

Have you tried going "upstairs" to the C6 Technical & Performance forum to ask this question? The good news is that as an '05, you will definately have a warrantee covering this, should it require service work.

:w
-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom