Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Add HUD?

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
Does anyone know if HUD can be added to a '99 that didn't come with it? I'm looking to by a used C5 and might have to take a non-HUD to get everything else I want on it.

You will be much better off buying your C5 with a HUD rather than adding or trying to add it later. The cost and headache won't be worth it.
Keep looking, you will find the one you want with the options you want. It took me 8 months to find mine because I wanted what I wanted. Once you have a HUD you'll never have a car without it. :beer :w

Yes it can be. Start here http://joshker99.home.comcast.net/hudinstall2.htm

Use either E-Bay or http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ for the parts.

Parts you will need are:
10279814 Projector.
10425223 Bezel.
12198648 Hud Switch.
A cable from the first web link.
And because you have a 99, you will have to see if it has a HUD Enabled Cluster already or you need to buy one. EBay is your best bet for this item. I believe I read somewhere that some of the last 99s made actually have the correct cluster which might save you some money there.

If you go thru E-Bay you can probably do the project for less than $600 without the cluster. If you go thru gmpartsdirect it will be closer to $850 without the cluster.

Take your time on this and read the install a few times and you should have no issues. If I can get the items I need for under $500 I might do the mod myself. HUDs are nice toys but only useful if A) you need to see your shift points or B) you have a lead foot and need a quicker visual way to see how fast you are going. My opinion of course :)

Don't forget that Corvettes with HUD's have special windshields also.

I just finished entering the part numbers for the bezel, switch and projector at gmpartsdirect.com and in my cart the total was $299.18 with shipping. Unfortunately my car has a date of 1/99 so chances are good that it doesn't have a HUD enabled cluster. Anyone have a part number for the cluster?

Leon

50 4Ever said:
Don't forget that Corvettes with HUD's have special windshields also.
The standard glass does just fine based on personal observation of original and retrofits.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom