Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adding back the Air Conditioning Pump

N

nchase007

Hey guys -

When I bought my vette a few years ago, it didn't have the pump for the air conditioning or the brackets. Just lost over the years I guess. With a black on black interior/exterior it gets hot! I want to add it before the summer heat sets in. Have any of you guys done this.

I was told I would need the mounting brackets, is that something that the Ecklers catalog or others would sell?

I was told my my mechanic it would be around $1400 for the new pump, freon and the installation. Does that sound about right?

I'm really just looking for any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,
Nate

First of all I would ask what the $1400.00 covers? What new parts are going to be installed and the amount will be for total labor charges. This will help you determine if it would be cheaper to purchase the parts yourself and then just get a quote for labor. All the parts are available through various vendors.
If it was my system, because it has been open to the atmosphere for such a long time I would do a complete overhaul.
Here is a list of parts and prices I found if it were I doing the job,
New R4 Compressor Kit, E-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R4-COMPRESSOR-KIT-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33543QQihZ018QQitemZ280018026120
New A/C Hose DELCO, E-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-79-80-81-82-CORVETTE-AC-A-C-A-C-HOSE-FITTING-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33544QQitemZ160009215471QQtcZphoto
New Evaporator DELCO, E-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LATE-77-78-79-CORVETTE-EVAPORATOR-NEW-AC-DELCO-GM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33543QQitemZ160027212320QQtcZphoto
New Condenser DELCO, E-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/73-82-CORVETTE-AC-CONDENSER-NOS-AC-DELCO-GM-3028820_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33547QQitemZ8060048784QQtcZphoto
Total Parts, $694.97
Brian

Brian - Hey man you are awesome! I was told that parts would be a minimum of $1000, so that will save me at least $300! Do I need anything besides these items?

My mechanic also told me my mounting brackets are missing. Do you know if I can find those on Ebay too? I found some in Ecklers, but there are four compressor mounting brackets/braces/supports: front lower brace $19, rear brace $16, rear support $170 and adjusting bracket $87. Will I need all four?

By the way Brian, I love the dark red on your 77, it's a beautiful car!

Here is a complete, minus hardware I think setup that should fit your application. I have not personally bought from this seller but his feedback rating is about as good as it gets. If your not sure what condition these parts are in, and its hard to tell by the pictures ask questions! One I would ask is how pitted and rusty were the parts before media blasted?
And if you use the e-bay seller for the compressor kit he will ask what refrigerant your going to use 134a or the r-12 refrigerant, as there will be different compressor oil added or shipped depending what you want as a refrigerant.
“O” and thank you for the complement on my 77!
Brian
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVETTE-A-C-AIR-CONDITION-ENGINE-BRACKETS-77L-78-79-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ002QQitemZ120104957471QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

...New R4 Compressor...New A/C Hose...New Evaporator... New Condenser

You will need the stock mounting brackets for the R4 compressor. You can trust CorvetteMack on ebay. He's a good dude and one of my favorite Corvette parts providers. He has a Corvette salvage yard outside Atlanta. Purchase the AIM for your year and take a look at the bracket installation. AIM shows all of it and lists the original part numbers. Also has installation notes on the compressor.

You will need an R4 compressor to replace your missing one. Remanufactured, or new. Remanufactured would probably be fine and is available over the counter at any of the generic auto parts places. If you have to have a core for the purchase, buy a used R4 off ebay and use that as your core.

You should not need new hoses unless the PO cut or otherwise damaged yours, or they leak.

You should not need to replace the evaporator or the condensor unless either is damaged or leaks.

You will need a VIR or accumulator-dryer (not sure what the '79s used) since the system has been open and moisture has gotten to the dessicant.

Any reputable automotive AC shop will be able to leak test the system, evacuate it, and fill it. Now would be a good time to change to R134A.

Personally, I think the $1400 figure is high.

:)

I have to agree with the pervious posts you can save a bundle on ebay for the parts you need. And yes corvettemack is one of the top players for used corvette parts. I dissagree with one item. Being you want to bring the system back You should put new hoses on. Good luck

From what I have heard, these systems work best on R-12 than R-134. They made for R-12 and cool best using it. Now the R-12 isn't the cheapest to purchase though. But You will need to change out all the O-rings with new ones. The R-134 will leak sometimes when R-12 will not. I would replace all ruber hoses with new ones, not that expensive. I changed out my condensor and vir, even though my system wasn't open to the elements.

I paid $480 for R-12 in my system just 3 years ago. Now it has all leaked out from leak in gasket on the dryer thing. New lines for me ran almost $200 from Corvette Central. There is a difference in the type, thickness and pressure capacity of R-12 and R-132A I have been told.

I paid $480 for R-12 in my system just 3 years ago. Now it has all leaked out from leak in gasket on the dryer thing. New lines for me ran almost $200 from Corvette Central. There is a difference in the type, thickness and pressure capacity of R-12 and R-132A I have been told.

Hey Curtis, you might want to check into recharging the system some time, the price if R12 is coming down because there's less and less demand for it all the time.

Bill

The reason for the increase of pressure in a system that has been upgraded to the R134a refrigerant is because our condensers do not work as efficient with R134a causing higher discharge, or head pressure. In our C3 Corvettes this is why the R134a will not blow as cold as the R12 does. The higher the head or discharge pressure the less efficient the system will be.
I would have the system pumped down, checked for leeks and repaired and recharged as soon as you can afford it. Also now that the system has been down I would also re-kit the VIR or replace the accumulator . Because your system is low on refrigerant the low pressure cutout switch should not allow your compressor clutch to pull in. This is a normally closed switch at pressures above 32 psig and then opens if refrigerant pressure falls below 32 psig. This is when the damage to a system starts to happen. There is always going to be a little moister is a system, running the system under normal operating pressure’s will boil off most, if not all of the moisture and what is left over, if any the VIR or accumulator desiccant will contain the rest. Not running the system for an extended period of time will let the moisture in the system, especially moisture trapped in the compressor causing in most cases freezing up the compressor.
This is why GM called it FOUR-SEASON AIR CONDITIONING as the system was designed to be run all the time.
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom