Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Adjusting hood

lex luther

Corvette
1992 Polo Green 6 sp.
Does anyone have any info. regarding adjusting a 1992 hood. I bought some new front tires that were not balanced correctly, which really made the hood shake and rattle. Prior to this I had very little rattle or noise from it. The shop "tightened" the hood, apparently by screwing the rubber stops out. Now despite the fact that the front tires now ride smooth, every time I go over a small bump, road irregularity, there are rattles. Wish they had never adjusted the hood. I have seen 4 adjusting "stops" and have tried screwing them in and out, with some improvement, but not where it was. I noted that the rubber ends to the stops toward the rear of the hood by the windshield are deformed, I assume because they were adjusted out too far. Time to go to the body shop or does anyone know how to adjust? Thanks

Does anyone have any info. regarding adjusting a 1992 hood. I bought some new front tires that were not balanced correctly, which really made the hood shake and rattle. Prior to this I had very little rattle or noise from it. The shop "tightened" the hood, apparently by screwing the rubber stops out. Now despite the fact that the front tires now ride smooth, every time I go over a small bump, road irregularity, there are rattles. Wish they had never adjusted the hood. I have seen 4 adjusting "stops" and have tried screwing them in and out, with some improvement, but not where it was. I noted that the rubber ends to the stops toward the rear of the hood by the windshield are deformed, I assume because they were adjusted out too far. Time to go to the body shop or does anyone know how to adjust? Thanks

I know how to adjust them,but without hands on seeing what it needs,I'd be afraid to tell you how to go about it!! C4's have more things that you have to adjust than any other car I have encountered!! I spent 4 hours yesterday adjusting the lines on JimiJams hood and front bumper after a Toyota 4X4 PU backed up on the front of his car!!:hb:hb:hb
From the sounds of things the latch pins need adjusted up a little to keep it from rattling,but man if your not careful you can get them too tight and they won't release to get the hood back up,or worse break the release cable and then it is a real PITA!!:D:D:D

Junk:
I have adjusted the rubber stops on the back of the hood (windshield side) and have also noted another rubber stop adjustment on the frame area towards the front. I am getting fogging on the windshield when it rains, and assume that the hood needs to adjusted down by screwing in the back stops so that the hood will fit lower. Is this correct? Are there any more adjustments. Right now, there is more gap on the passenger side than the driver's side despite the fact that the right side has been screwed in far more than the left.

Junk:
I have adjusted the rubber stops on the back of the hood (windshield side) and have also noted another rubber stop adjustment on the frame area towards the front. I am getting fogging on the windshield when it rains, and assume that the hood needs to adjusted down by screwing in the back stops so that the hood will fit lower. Is this correct? Are there any more adjustments. Right now, there is more gap on the passenger side than the driver's side despite the fact that the right side has been screwed in far more than the left.
If you lower the rear hood stops the hood will lower,but you will need to raise the latch striker pin on the hood,other wise the hood will not shut tight and rattle and vibrate.:thumb:thumb:thumb You can adjust the pin up by loosening the big Nut at the top and screwing pin in with a big screwdriver!!:thumbBut don't go to far at a time till it fits tight!! Sometimes if you get it too tight they can be hard to get back open!!:beer

Thanks Junk. I will look at the adjustment for the hood latch.

you might be able to see where the original marks are on the adjusters, and turn them back down. I would put zip ties on your hood latches while you play with it, just incase.

You can adjust the pin up by loosening the big Nut at the top and screwing pin in with a big screwdriver!!:thumb!:beer

I've tried adjusting my hood and am unable to loosen the big nut at the top. I'm afraid of forcing it too much in case it distorts the hood - is there a trick to loosening that big nut?
Thanks.

I've tried adjusting my hood and am unable to loosen the big nut at the top. I'm afraid of forcing it too much in case it distorts the hood - is there a trick to loosening that big nut?
Thanks.

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey................:thumb

Yeah,there purdy tight sometimes!!:thumb I've even had to have someone to steady the hood,stand on the front tire and use a pipe wrench with a cheater bar to get some of them loose!! :L:L:L

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom