Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advanced cam.what timing?

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
My cam card said to advance the cam 4 degrees. I hadnt done that before when the cam was in my other motor so i did it this time. My timing is sitting at 38deg. total advance, but i think that is too high. any advice? I guess i will find out at the dyno. cus timing can make or break you!

Did your card say "to" advance it 4 degrees or that it "had" 4 degrees advance ground into it? I'm curious because my Compcam had 4 degrees ground into it so I backed off by that much on my static setting.

its a 104 degree centerline. then it said to advance it 4 degrees. ADVANCE THIS CAM 4 DEGREES. THE ABOVE ADVANCE WILL MAKE THIS CAM. thats what it said. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i need 60 bucks for the dyno

From what I know, a lot of camshafts will be advanced even when "straight-up." I have no idea why that is. Onto the original concern.

I've seen cams go in with 2-4 degrees advanced and some go in retarded. Advanced usually resulted in the most power, but you can always back off the ignition timing to find your sweet spot. Of course, a quick change timing cover would really be the trick ticket. :)

--Bullitt

here is the general rule of thumb. move your ignition timing the other direction from the cam timing. just about every configuration of the small block loves 36 total ignition timing with centered cam timing. by advancing the cam you move your breathing and power down in the rpm range. with lower rpm comes lower total ignition timing. i'll bet your motor runs the best at 32-34 total timing with a cam at 4 degrees advanced. but with machining tollerences, i would adjust your timing, with vac advance disconnected and plugged, to max vacuum and back off one to two degrees. this will give you a good point to start your dyno runs. best of luck, Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom