Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advice for tinting '02 EB Z06

R

rifeman

I'm getting ready to tint my Z06, but I really don't know what brand name to choose, how dark the tint should be, and how much I should expect to pay. So far I've looked at

1) Llumar's High Performance Charcoal Film ATR 30 CH SR HPR and ATR 35 CH SR HPR (I'm not sure what the letters mean, but I think the number means it allows 30 and 35 percent visible light in)

2) Formula 1's Ultimate Series 28 and 38.

I want the tint to afford me some privacy (like if someone looked in, they couldn't recognize my face) but I don't want it to be so dark that it becomes a hassle at night when backing up.

I'm in the military, so I'll be moving from state to state quite frequently. How will the tint laws in the various states effect my the warranty that I get with the tint work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because right now, I'm pretty lost.

Thanks,
Chad

I would not tint mine.....but it's a free country (I guess it still is) However I do recall that some people had trouble with the back window and the heating elements...just a tip and good luck

Chad,
The first thing I would do is determine how dark you want to go on your windows. Once you've done that (limo dark/5% light transmission, medium/30% light transmission, etc.) find a Corvette club in your local area and enquire of some of the members if they have a recommendation for a tint installation company in your area. Getting window tint professionally installed by someone certified by the manufacturer to do it will ensure that your warrantee will be honored by the manufacturer, regardless of where you take it, should you have any issues with it in the future. Your local Corvette clubs should be able to give you the names of a few people they've used and liked, and more importantly, the ones not to use under any circumstances.

As for which manufacturer, I'm used Llumar/3M film on several vehicles and not had any issues with it. Hotwing is correct on one point- at the top of the back window are a series of "bubbles" or "dots," These actually stick out from the window surface on the inside of the window, and will prevent film from applying correctly. Experienced tint shops will have options for how to deal with that problem on cars which use these kinds of rear windows- again, another reason to involve a local car club in finding an experienced tinter.

As for how the rules may change from state to state, bear in mind that if you keep the car licensed in Florida, it won't matter what the local state laws are, because your tint would be complying with the tint allowed in the state win which you have the vehicle registered.

If you do have to change plates as a result of a move, remember that most states will allow you a grace period to get your plates changed over, and in that time, you'll be able to familiarize yourself with their local laws regarding window tint. In most cases, if you explain to an officer who's just pulled you over that you have recently moved, you may get issued a "fix it" ticket, where there no points assessed against your license, nor are there any fees, as long as you remove the offending window tint.

Post some pics after you get your window tint applied!

:w
-Patrick

Thanks for your reply! Right now the car is registered in NJ, where front side window tinting is illegal. I'm moving to TX from FL in a matter of weeks, and the tinting laws there are nearly the most lax in the country. Do you think its a good idea to wait till I get to TX to get the work done so I have more options?

Do you think its a good idea to wait till I get to TX to get the work done so I have more options?

If you can stand to wait a couple of weeks, sure. Options are always good. You may want to do a search for Corvette clubs and groups in the area you're moving to and see if, from perhaps a website, if they have a tint shop as a club sponsor, or any recommendations for window tinting.

:w
-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom