Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Advice needed

G

garlt4

Wondering what simple mods I can do for my LT4 that will give just a bit of a boost to a car that honestly, is quicker than I expected it to be. Not looking to spend alot of money or alter anything that couldn't be brought back to stock. Presently, the car is stock except for Power Effects exhaust. Just looking for something to "putter" with in the garage. Do the K&N filters make any difference?? I enjoy this site.. by the way, car is black/black 24k miles
Appreciate any advice

I would get rid of it fast!!!!!!!!!!

And sell it to me! You have the perfect C4, why would you play with it with so little miles. The chances is that the only way you would be able to tell the difference is if you took it to a drag strip and was timed.

But l would have it dyno'd only because every LT4 owner has no idea what they have as far as HP.

The only thing l would do is change the rear end and for that l would say l'm not qualified to recommend a particular ratio.

I would even throw in my 96 auto, but it's torch red.

Alan

Its like this. If you had a gas mask on and a cork up your butt you wouldn't run to well and you’d probably get over heated.
K@N filter and some pipes will make your sweetness breath a lot better.
On the cheap
K@N and go to your local muffler shop and have them remove the mufflers. You keep the stock tips that way. Keep the mufflers in case you want to go back to stock. My shop did it for $60. As for noise level with no mufflers. It's not bad at all. I was surprise how quiet it was.

LT4ever

Ben

Is it legal!!!!!!!!

Dammitman

It's a great idea but will the cops stop you and what will this give the car in the way of performance?

Alan

Exhaust

As I said, I have a Power Effects Cat Back System. I have heard that the stock manifolds are quite good and headers don't add much.

A good exhaust as well as a good air-intake system are great places to start. Sounds like you're 1/2 way there.

Gears are an option that I'm considering but they are pricey. From what I hear...definite SOTP improvement. I know what you mean though...sometimes I think to myself, "how much faster do I really want to go?" This thing is a beast already!!

Kingman (Alan)
Eckler's and mid-America offer muffler eliminators. 50 state legal. Cutting out the muffler is legal, if you make too much noise that is illegal. I have found that my LT4 is not over the limit.

GarLT4
Sorry I need to read more. All I was saying is that letting the car breath better will make the best HP for the buck.

P.S. There needs to be a LT4 get together at some race track some where? Wouldn't that be something to look forward too.

Have you thought about handling? Mine runs very strong stock, but when I got it it was "floaty/leany" with base suspension. I added bigger rims tires bars adj shocks - now it handles - I kept the stock base springs so when my shocks are set soft it's not a spine pulverizer on the street.

[B said:
P.S. There needs to be a LT4 get together at some race track some where? Wouldn't that be something to look forward too. [/B]

Nice idea. :Steer

B17Crew
:w

Dammit man said:
Kingman (Alan)
Eckler's and mid-America offer muffler eliminators. 50 state legal. Cutting out the muffler is legal, if you make too much noise that is illegal. I have found that my LT4 is not over the limit.

GarLT4
Sorry I need to read more. All I was saying is that letting the car breath better will make the best HP for the buck.

P.S. There needs to be a LT4 get together at some race track some where? Wouldn't that be something to look forward too.

DAMMIT MAN
I HAVE THOSE MUFFLER ELIMINATORS ON MY LT4 BESIDES LOSING ABOUT 40LBS. OFF THE VETTE(LOSING WEIGHT IS LIKE ADDING HP!! I LOVE IT) IT REALLY SOUNDS GREAT AND IS NOT LOUD AT ALL UNLESS YOU GET ON IT AND THEN IT SOUNDS GREAT! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH HP IT ADDS TO THE VETTE??

garlt4 said:
Do the K&N filters make any difference??

Both the stock air intake and the cat-back exhaust on the LT4 are very good......

Most you will gain from any cat-back is about 10hp.......most from any air filter/box change is definitely less than 5 hp, probably even lower....

so imho the K&N filters are just not worth the effort or the money.....and oh yes I have K&N on mine.....SLP triple snorkle now...previously K&N in open air box....

160 stat is nice puttering, but you need to reprogram fans...

TB bypass is essentially a free putter project...

you really need to get in and do heads, gasket matching, cam, long tube headers, high flow cats, etc to get serious improvements

4.10 gears are a real hoot around town.....and with 6th gear you don't loose much in terms of streetability..

Actually the advice to drive it as is and enjoy it is something to consider....but then we all want to go faster.......

Enjoy.....

The open air box with the stock filter will flow as much air as the engine can handle....

But, I have K&N filters in all my cars, they are a good product... no need to buy new filters again and they filter better. you still pick up 2 HP or so because the air flow is not as turbulent. still, only worth it if you want the ability to wash out the filter instead of replacing the paper one. it is cheaper over the life of the car.

Easy h.p.

Here's a few relatively cheap ones:Adjustable fuel pressure regulator,Relocated air temperature sensor,modded intake with K&N,remove the MAF screen,Throttle body coolant bypass,Adjustable TPS,Smooth intake coupling(silicone intercooler coupling;check ebay)Got $300 bucks to spend?Headers and DR.Gas X-pipe,Meziere electric water pump,Nitrous.<-------Whoops,Got excited!Anyway,Have fun with your beautiful new toy!

Vettelt193 said:
The open air box with the stock filter will flow as much air as the engine can handle....

But, I have K&N filters in all my cars, they are a good product... no need to buy new filters again and they filter better. you still pick up 2 HP or so because the air flow is not as turbulent. still, only worth it if you want the ability to wash out the filter instead of replacing the paper one. it is cheaper over the life of the car.

What if you add a larger TB? Would the intake add more HP with an aftermarket? OR do you think the stock intake can handle more??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom