Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aerobody Friendly Hydraulic Jack

mangusta1969

Corvette
92 CR1;04 C5; 91 Aerobody Vert (nonTT)
I was just about to have Santa bring me a $400 plus Danish low profile hydraulic jack from Griot's or Pelicanparts.com when I saw the pictured 3.5 ton jack at Costco. Since I was in the 92CR1 at Costco for the very first time (must have been some sort of Callaway karma), I went home for a tape measure, noted some Aerobody lift dimensions and returned to Costco with my hauling vehicle.

My new Arcan jack cost Santa all of $69.99 yesterday. Although the jack is made in China, it is very heavy duty construction and the metal front wheels even have pressure lube fittings on them. It has a large lift pad at 4 inches from the ground; on the side view of the jack, it remains at 5 inches or less from the ground for a distance of 9.5 inches back from the center of the lifting pad.

During its first day home, I test lifted my lowered CR1 from the rear and at the left front (just behind the LF tire). I also changed the front brake pads on the wife's hauler vehicle (2003 PT Cruiser, which is also pretty low at the front). No problemo! Neither of my two other jacks or two sets of commercial ramps were even usable on the Callaway Aerobody cars.

I don't know how long the Chinese hydraulics will last, but the metal construction of the jack is very stout and I can buy around 6 of them for the price of the delivered Danish jack. I also use jack stands in case those hydraulics don't hold so well...

Aerobody Friendly/Pocketbook Friendly Hydraulic Jack

Second low profile Arcan jack picture attached.

Good score Mangusta :beer

When I took the B2K once to get the state inspection, the jockey took a floor jack and threw it under the car w/out regard :eek

I said, you do not really want to do that, do you...

Answer was NO ;)

Maybe I should print this and drop it off at that shop.

Again, Good score :beer

Hmm... What are State Inspections? :D

Happy Holidays!

-Luigi
:cool

State inspections are those things that the gestapo does to fund the government. I live in one of those gestapo states too and it's no fun. There is some safety involved with having a 3rd party do your inspection, but, paying them $50-100 per car per year (including emissions) to have them make sure that you're not a certified stupid idiot when it comes to making sure you have brakes and lights.... I think I'll pass-- literally and figuratively. It's a crock!

Now that I'm off my rant.. whew.. ok, nice jack. Bring that sucka to the next Callaway meet where we're going to see how fast we can take Dymags off of one TT and put them on another Callaway!

p.s. It's nice of the Chinese to offer that jack in a similar color to your car. What a bonus! :)

Do you know if it will fit under a C5? Would love one for the Z...

TAC- if you can't find the jack in a matching color, try Sears. Their "large" jack has a removable head that fits under even the lowest cars. -E

TAC,

On the C5 question:

1. You should trade the C5 in on a Callaway before any close friends see you in the C5.
2. If step (1), above, is impractical due to wife acceptance factor, then take a tape measure and set it to 5 inches length. If you can get the tape measure to a safe C5 jacking point within about 9-10 inches of where the side or bottom of your car is at 5 inches ground clearance, then the Costco jack will work. This jack is a pretty low profile design. There is a picture of it on the side of the box that is about 3/4 size, so you can eyeball this in the store, too.

Eric,

That was pretty good that they painted the jack blue to match my car. I am looking for a red one for the other car, though.

I just bought the sears alum jack, a bit pricey @ 199, but very high quality, no shipping, pretty light, and the nose goes to 3.5 inch with a wide single roller that won't dig into my driveway.

I think you can get it cheaper through mail order but I wanted it NOW!!

mangusta1969 said:
TAC,

On the C5 question:

1. You should trade the C5 in on a Callaway before any close friends see you in the C5.

Ummmm....check my sig. FWIW, I love the Z as much as my TT. 2 completely different rides and each has its own strengths. And my wife was instrumental in getting both. :beer

I knew that you had a Callaway, too, but I couldn't resist taking a cheap shot against the C5 (this IS the Callaway forum, you know). Hopefully, I answered your question, too. The low profile jack is way nice for the price and it will lift SUVs too, not that I have any of those practical vehicles, either.

My wife merely tolerates the new (to us) Callaway due to the noise of its headers/exhaust and the occasional harsh bursts of speed.

mangusta1969 said:
I knew that you had a Callaway, too, but I couldn't resist taking a cheap shot against the C5 (this IS the Callaway forum, you know).

:eyerole Whatever... I hear that kind of stuff at the ZR-1 forum in CF. Never thought I would have to take it here too...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom