Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: After-market radio wiring puzzle

S

SRReality

I'm wiring in an aftermarket radio in my '62. I have it all wired up and installed. When I turn the ignition key to "on", the display on the radio comes on then fades away, then the radio is unresponsive. I called the radio builder for tech support........they showed me how to "reset" the radio and advised that the radio was shutting itself off as a protection and I should check the grounding. I grounded it directly to the frame by cleaning an area around a convenient hole down to bare metal and attaching the ground there. The red power wire is connected to the original yellow power wire to the radio. There is an orange wire that is to be connected to a constant power source. I connected that to a terminal on the fuse block entitled "Ant" with a blade connector. There is a "modern" dual cone speaker already in the original speaker position, which I wired up according to the directions........

Since it doesn't work and how I have it wired up is tripping the protection device, obviously I have something amiss! I've checked the power into the radio and it's there @ 12 volts.
Where is the best place to ground the radio? Where is the best place to connect to a "constant power source".............directly to the positive terminal on the battery?

The car doesn't have the original motor or generator - - - it's a GM crate 350 with an alternator, an aftermarket amp gauge and temp gauge. No other electrical additions.

Any advice from the experts on here? Thanks!

After market radio wiring

There are 2 power wires... an always hot ( typically yellow ) and a switched 12 volt ( Ign on typically red ) ....
Make sure the 12 V at your " ANT " connection is always hot ( off , acc, run & start ).

The other thing is to make SURE that both sides of the speaker and floating from ground..older stereo's had the " common " or " - " connected to ground.

Modern car gear cannot tolerate that....

Hope this helps..

Mike

Thank you!

There are 2 power wires... an always hot ( typically yellow ) and a switched 12 volt ( Ign on typically red ) ....
Make sure the 12 V at your " ANT " connection is always hot ( off , acc, run & start ).

The other thing is to make SURE that both sides of the speaker and floating from ground..older stereo's had the " common " or " - " connected to ground.

Modern car gear cannot tolerate that....

Hope this helps..

Mike

A tip of the hat and a hearty thank you, Mike! You gave me the clue that righted my thinking. Switched two wires and now it works. With the one central speaker, it isn't great, but every so much better than what was in there.

:happyanim:

glad to be of help

:beer

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom