Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket brakes and Dymags

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Just returned from a trip to Germany where the old TT covered flawlessly (1100 miles, hit 167 mph and plenty of 150 mph blasts, only using less than 1/2 litre of oil too!) but it became apparent that the brakes weren't man enough when we cooked (glazed) the pads on one hard stop from 130 mph...

Aftermarket brakes may be necessary when I can afford them. Brembos are a TON of money over here though I have seen a set of BAER brakes (front and rear) for reasonable money.

Only thing is some German guy who seemed knowledgable (owned a ZR1, his friend has b2k) told me I can't fit larger discs or calipers with the 17" Dymags.

What are you guys using, any recommendations for improving barke performance?

I think Pete is, or was looking at brake options for his B2K w/ Dy's & 90Callaway has Baer Eradispeeds on his :eek
I am sure they will chime in with what they specifically have :m

I would think that Wilwoods would fit, but Im unsure. Malc why don't you use the great exchange rate and by the brakes in the US and have them shipped to you?

Might just do that

trying some EBC pads tomorrow as an interim as mine are now shot and I don't want to kill my discs (or kill some one...)

BAER available for $1600 for 4 discs/ 2 calipers / pads and steel lines seems good.

I've already fiited Goodridge steel lines which firmed the pedal up slightly I think but don't know if they made the car stop better.

Some cooling to the brakes may be a good idea too.

If you go with Baer just do the rotors...the calipers are the same ones that come on the B2k, they are just painted to look better. They are the PBR 2 piston unit.

Check LPEs website as well for their Alcon setup.

I just got thru installing 13" dimpled/slotted rotors with the black Grand Sport calipers on my 88 Callaway and they work great. And look exceptional.

Cheers for that

SurfnSun said:
If you go with Baer just do the rotors...the calipers are the same ones that come on the B2k, they are just painted to look better. They are the PBR 2 piston unit.

Check LPEs website as well for their Alcon setup.
The front rotors are availoable for about $500 which I think is a good deal if you reckon rotors alone would make a difference. Are the B2K rotors not the same as stock (ZR1 / big brake option)?

malc350 said:
The front rotors are availoable for about $500 which I think is a good deal if you reckon rotors alone would make a difference. Are the B2K rotors not the same as stock (ZR1 / big brake option)?
Yes they are the same rotors.

Do the rotors and DOT approved SS lines, you'll notice a BIG difference.

malc350 said:
Malc, B2K's were equipped with Z5G, a package that included the J55 big brakes*

*except on 8388's one B2K :confused

malc350 said:
I have the Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotors on all 4 corners along with Hawk HP Plus pads. They bring my SNAT down from speed very quickly and have performed very well. I have run numerous high speed track events with them and they held up very well and the stopping power gives me the confidence you need to go deep into the corners.
Additionally, since they are lighter then stock rotors, I saved almost 30 pounds of unsprung weight. However, on the area where the pads contact the rotor on the Eradispeeds, they are designed thicker.
I also added brake cooling ducts and the brake bias spring which in fact did reduce some of the "nose dive" under hard braking.

*89x2* said:
Malc, B2K's were equipped with Z5G, a package that included the J55 big brakes*

*except on 8388's one B2K :confused

It's a rare car what can I say:D

Malc, the key to repetitive braking stops from triple digit speeds is a combination of things. Another C4 Vette that I have is primarily used for road course high speed action (when it's not crushing rustangs on the street ;)). I have the Baer 13" front calipers and have reverted back to standard rotors. More on that in a second. Brake "fade" is attributed to extremely high temperatures.... so how do you reduce brake temperatures or the effects of temperature??

1. Remove the factory brake fluid and put in an extremely high temp fluid such as Ate'.

2. Install brake cooling ducts vented directly to the rotors. You can spend $20 on this as I have or you can order C4 specific brake cooling systems for $150.

3. There are a variety of "racing" brake pads out there. Consult with EBC or Hawk on your application. I would imagine that you're looking for something more street/strip specific. If you really get into racing, though, you'll want to go with an all out race pad that requires a fair amount of heat to work properly. At low speeds on the street an all out race pad is ineffective because it takes heat to operate. Worst case scenario is that you'll need to change the pads back and forth depending on what event you are running.

I went back to using standard factory type rotors because I've never been able to keep the heat to a minimum. After one track event every dimpled/slotted/cross-drilled rotor that I've tried has cracked. The high-performance rotors will help you stop sooner-- but at a much much higher price. I find that in my semi-competitive racing that throw away rotors at $45ea are good for me!

Is the Mov-it system only an other name and the same price as a Brembo system?
The c5 at Fame and also at the Viper Corvette meeting had 6 piston calipers, it looked very cool :D

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom