Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket Warranties?

M

MANOFSTEEL52

Hello everyone, first post here... Sorry it's not a positive one.

I have a 2003 Z06 and its juuuust under 80k miles. Everything is starting to fall apart on the car. I was wondering if anyone has an aftermarket warranty? If so, who has you covered, and how do you like it? Any info would be great

I have a 2003 Z06 and its juuuust under 80k miles. Everything is starting to fall apart on the car. I was wondering if anyone has an aftermarket warranty? If so, who has you covered, and how do you like it? Any info would be great

First and foremost- :w and... :welcome

I had a warranty many years ago through GE Capital. It was okay... but really wasn't worth it in the long run. It wasn't exactly "health insurance" for my car.:chuckle

Just my $.02... but I always recommend doing what you can, learning to do more that what you currently know from friends you can trust, and establish a relationship with a local shop... preferably one who doesn't turn cars in massive volume while focusing more on its relationships with customers.

However, I'd say if you really want to look into a warranty... look closely at the contract and discuss doing business only with a large reputable company that is endorsed by the automotive industry.

Several scams have come out recently that were around aftermarket warranties. So, do your homework!

BTW- If you get the chance... introduce yourself in our forum for new members!

I had an aftermarket warrenty to 80k nothing went wrong!After that things started going wrong,isn't that the way it always is?:eyerole

I have a four year aftermarket warranty that was purchased through the Chevy dealer I bought the car from. It is a third party company, but I would like to think that since Chevy is using these guys that all will be honored in the right way. We'll see if I ever need something major done. You know you buy these things "just in case", then hope to god you never have to use it, but then if you don't ever need to use it you feel like you wasted you rmoney. Insanity it is!

Hello and welcome. Sorry you are having problems. Can you share how long timewise and miles that you've owned the Z?

What kind of things are going wrong?
Is it things like pwr windows going out, waterpumps, alternators or more serious issues like transmission problems or internal engine issues?

Is your car now or in the past seriously moded with a cam, blower or nitrous?

I hope you get her back in shape.

It's a 2003 Z06 Electron Blue. I bought her with 4,000 miles. I haven't modified it at all. I maintain it more than regularly. I'm not a car nut, just enjoy driving them, so pardon my lack of terminology. The passenger side door lock, and window has stopped working. I shut the door the other day and the reflector flew off. The door is slightly tilting downward and needs adjusting. The hood has some how re-adjusted it's self. The trunk does not open unless it has been popped, and a door slammed. The emergency brake does not work. The weather stripping is some how forcing it's self from under the windshield. The left wiper is no longer producing any wiper fluid. I turned the car on last week and for some reason, my ABS, Traction control, and Active handling has stopped working. There is more but I'm starting to get depressed. Is this normal? I bought the car for one reason, to drive it. I'm not a garage queen type of guy. I thought that this may be wear and tare, but this seems like a little much.

That is quite a list. I do think that a quality dealer can get your hood, door, trunk, e-brake, wiper fixed/adjusted as well as the other issues. Go to one you trust and I think they can nurse your Z back to tip-top shape for hopefully a reasonable price. Thx for answering my question and keep us posted. I know on my trunk, I have to grab it by the corner and lift it, but the other stuff is not normal and needs attention/repair/adjustment.

keep us posted.

I took it in today to see how much the repair would be on the ABS, Traction Control, and Active handling. The part alone is $3,500.... This may add up to more than the car is worth.

I know this is a little off topic of your post but most of the issues you listed are very easily fixed and don't cost that much either. First thing pull the codes and and see whats been going on. Then clear them for future checking.

If you do a search on here for ABS traction control you will find a very good fix for $149 and its better than the factory. Here is a link to the site. He has been used by a few CACer's including our own GMjunkie who has forgotten more about C5 than I'll ever know.
The passenger side door lock and window not working could be a few things but I would start by checking the grounds near the inside door jam. More than likely is the door control module which can be fixed easily if you know how to run a soldering iron.
Here is your fix for the trunk not opening.
The e-brake has an adjustment on the inside as well as the on the brakes. I've not looked into the inside adjustment its on my list to check in to.

The other issues you listed I've never experienced or read about but they don't seem like major issues. One of the best things about a corvette is the abundance of knowledge on the Internet about the car and all the great people willing to share it.

As far as the aftermarket warranty I've never purchased one. I've gotten factory warranties and they have paid for themselves many times. Not sure if this will help you or not but I'm still getting calls from companies trying to sell me an aftermarket warranty on a car that was totaled almost 2 years ago. Humm now that I think about it maybe I should take them up on their offer. :D

If you want some help fixing the other issues you have postum up! We'll jump in with both feet to try and help you get them fixed.

Dont waste your money. I have been ripped off twice. They are all nothing but insurance policies, and they will bring out the fine print when it comes to paying off anything really expensive. Pretty much, they pay as long as the amount doesnt exceed your warranty cost. Trust me...they are all crooks!

The last guy is right! i have a 2002 electron blue coupe I got new.Remember time and miles will take a toll on aany car,but yours seems unreal-abused maybe by someone,try to go through each issue one at a time and don t get upset.My coupe had some things pop up and I bought it brand new some of your same problems!c5s have problems just read on this forum,some guys can help you out gm junkie is a smart cookie!:thumb

Dont waste your money. I have been ripped off twice. They are all nothing but insurance policies, and they will bring out the fine print when it comes to paying off anything really expensive. Pretty much, they pay as long as the amount doesnt exceed your warranty cost. Trust me...they are all crooks!

I don't think all warranties are bad. My car had about $1,400 in work in the last 3-4 months(nearly 50% of the cost of the warranty!) It was 2 separate visits to the dealer--with me and the previous owner and it only cost $200...first issue was $100 deductible per that visit. The second visit(different issues), again $100 deductible. It really depends on the warranty company and the insurance company assuming the risk--ie cust. serv, direct pay to the service facilty, payment within 24hrs etc. My experience with extended warranties has been positive. While there are some bad ones out there, I would be cautious not to lump all the extended warranties into the "crook" category.

I agree but if you have a problem maybe a vette friend can help you or a independent shop why do you think they call them stealerships?;shrugI always read up first and try to do things myself just my op.

It's a 2003 Z06 Electron Blue. I bought her with 4,000 miles. I haven't modified it at all. I maintain it more than regularly. I'm not a car nut, just enjoy driving them, so pardon my lack of terminology. The passenger side door lock, and window has stopped working. I shut the door the other day and the reflector flew off. The door is slightly tilting downward and needs adjusting. The hood has some how re-adjusted it's self. The trunk does not open unless it has been popped, and a door slammed. The emergency brake does not work. The weather stripping is some how forcing it's self from under the windshield. The left wiper is no longer producing any wiper fluid. I turned the car on last week and for some reason, my ABS, Traction control, and Active handling has stopped working. There is more but I'm starting to get depressed. Is this normal? I bought the car for one reason, to drive it. I'm not a garage queen type of guy. I thought that this may be wear and tare, but this seems like a little much.
First thing I'd do is Check and Clean ALL Grounds,This may very well fix the electrical problems in Door,ABS,Active Handling and Traction Control with an hour and a half of your time!!:thumb

attachment.php

Here is a link to the site. He has been used by a few CACer's including our own GMjunkie who has forgotten more about C5 than I'll ever know.
No,I've forgot allot about C1's,C2's,C3's and early C4's and have to reference the books allot!!:L:L:L I'm now learning about the off the wall stuff on older C5's that comes with miles and age!!:thumb Learning every day about C6's and won't have a hair left on my head by the time the C7's come out!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

:D

Take gmjunkie's advice and try cleaning those grounds, the guy knows a bunch about these cars !

I had some electrical gremlins popping up and cleaning the grounds fixed them all. Its a great feeling to do a diagnostic and see those magic words ... "NO CODES" . :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom